Liberty dominated the visiting NJIT Highlanders in three sets (25-13, 25-6, 25-15) on Friday at the Vines Center, running its winning streak to a season-best five matches.
The Lady Flames (12-13, 8-3 ASUN) finished off a season sweep of NJIT, which falls to 4-22, 2-9 in conference play with the loss. With the win, Liberty clinched a spot in the 2018 ASUN Volleyball Championship, hosted by Kennesaw State Nov. 15-17 in Kennesaw, Ga.
Notable Numbers • Liberty held resounding advantages in all stats categories, including hitting percentage (.383 to -.066), kills (39-17), aces (6-0), digs (43-28) and blocks (10-3).
• Casey Goodwin scored a team-high nine kills for Liberty and added a match-high three aces to go with five blocks. Lilly Kruse scored a career-high eight kills, while Kainah Williams totaled seven kills and seven blocks. Anna Gragg scored on all six of her attack attempts. Hannah Morris registered 30 assists and nine digs while Margaret Latchford collected 11 digs.
• Lillee Olson led NJIT with six kills, while Adriana Nieto collected a match-high 12 digs. Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty led set one 11-5 after a 5-0 run, capped by a Williams-Goodwin block. The Lady Flames maintained a sizeable lead throughout, winning 25-13.
• The opening set saw Liberty hit .407, while NJIT attacked at a -.032 pace. Goodwin and Gragg scored five kills each.
SET 2 • The Lady Flames attacked at a scorching .556 pace with 12 kills during a 25-6 blowout in set two. Liberty registered five blocks as NJIT hit -.231 for the set.
• Goodwin went 4-for-4 on the attack and added three aces in the second session.
SET 3 • The hosts finished off the sweep with a 25-15 set-three victory during which they outhit the guests, .278-.029. Kruse scored four kills during the final set, and Payton Carter's third kill ended the match.
Quick Hits • Liberty is on its longest winning streak since posting eight straight victories from Sept. 30 through Oct. 22, 2016.
• The Lady Flames have hit .300 or better five times this season, with all five occasions coming in conference play.
• Liberty has matched its total of 10-block matches from last year, with 11.
• Making her first collegiate appearance, sophomore Darian Finnerty totaled a kill and three digs.
• Liberty's 25-6 win in set two was its largest margin of victory in a single set since winning set one vs. Hampton by a 25-6 score Sept. 3, 2016.
• The Lady Flames' .556 hitting percentage in set two was their most efficient set on the attack since hitting .591 during set two at North Florida, Sept. 21.
Up Next The Lady Flames wrap up their regular-season home schedule on Sunday, hosting North Alabama at 1 p.m. Liberty will honor its two seniors – Baptista and Latchford, with a ceremony prior to Sunday's match against UNA.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram