Brittany Weiss swam on two winning relays on Friday at New Mexico State.
Making its first appearance in the state of New Mexico, the Liberty swimming & diving team claimed a 50-38 win over New Mexico State in a relay-exclusive meet on Friday at NM State Swimming and Diving Complex.
The Lady Flames (2-0) have won their last 10 dual meets in a row, dating back to the 2017-18 season. New Mexico State, last year's WAC runner-up, was competing for the first time this season.
Liberty Event Winners • 3X100 butterfly relay (Mikayla Herich (58.63), Lindsey Cohee (56.28), Alicia Finnigan (55.84) – 2:50.75
• 3X100 backstroke relay (Brittany Weiss (57.68), Payton Keiner (54.06), Emma Hazel (54.72) – 2:46.46
• 3X100 breaststroke relay (Ricki Lee Hodges (1:05.22), Kiah Francis (1:07.04), Gianni Pitto (1:02.39) – 3:14.65
• 3X500 freestyle relay (Emily Zimcosky (5:09.31), Arielle Arnett (5:07.25), Emily Manly (5:05.03) – 15:21.59
• 400 medley relay (Emma Hazel (57.07), Gianni Pitto (1:03.46), Lindsey Cohee (57.76), Colleen Donlin (51.44) – 3:49.73
• 800 freestyle relay (Hannah Baker (1:54.46), Emily Zimcosky (1:55.78), Payton Keiner (1:55.37), Emily Manly (1:55.14) – 7:40.75
• 4X100 IM relay (Gianni Pitto (59.56), Brittany Weiss (59.76), Kiah Francis (1:00.40), Emma Hazel (59.97) – 3:59.69
• 200 freestyle relay (Payton Keiner (24.62), Emily Zimcosky (24.60), Hannah Baker (23.56), Colleen Donlin (22.88) – 1:35.66
Notable • Liberty is now 5-0 all-time when competing in the Mountain Time Zone. The team's last Mountain Time meet was the 2016 Intermountain Shootout, where Liberty swept the field that included Air Force, BYU, Utah and host Colorado Mesa.
• The Lady Flames won all eight swimming relays, while the Aggies claimed narrow victories in one-meter diving (380.50 to 375.15) and three-meter diving (391.85-387.60) relays.
• Liberty came from behind to win the 3X100 breaststroke relay. Going into the third and final leg, New Mexico State led by 3.02 seconds. Defending CCSA Swimmer of the Week Gianni Pitto then swam a 1:02.39 final leg to give Liberty the win, 3:14.65 to 3:15.35.
• The visitors took first and second place in the 3X500 freestyle relay, with the A team winning in 7:40.75 and the B team taking second in 7:45.71.
• Colleen Donlin swam a scorching 22.88 anchor leg to cap Liberty's winning 200 free relay, which won in 1:35.66.
Historically Speaking • Pitto put her name in the program's all-time top 10 for the fourth different event in her career tonight. She led off the 4X100 IM relay in 59.56, which places her fifth all-time in program history in the 100 IM, and fastest among Lady Flames freshmen all-time.
Up Next Liberty and New Mexico will contest a traditional 16-event dual meet tomorrow, beginning at 1 p.m. ET at NM State Swimming and Diving Complex.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram