Alan York of the Liberty Flames Sports Network recently caught up with Liberty Women's Basketball Head Coach Carey Green, recapping the Lady Flames' 2016-17 season. The youthful team finished 13-17 overall, including 12-6 in Big South play. Below is a summary of some of the Lady Flames' most notable achievements this season.
Team Accomplishments • The Lady Flames recorded their 18th straight season with 10 or more Big South Conference victories.
• Liberty topped the Big South in rebound margin (+9.0), offensive rebounds (17.3 rpg), blocked shots (4.3 bpg) and three-point field goal percentage defense (.281).
• Through games played on March 27, Liberty ranks No. 7 nationally for offensive rebounds and No. 9 in rebound margin. The Lady Flames should finish among the nation's top 10 teams in rebound margin for the 15th consecutive year.
• The Lady Flames tied a program single-game record by making 12 three-pointers at Charleston Southern on Jan. 3. For the season, Liberty hit 165 triples, falling just 10 shy of the program single-season record.
• Liberty had three players (Keyen Green, Iva Ilic, Ola Makurat) make the Big South All-Freshman Team for just the second time in program history (also 2001-02).
• The Lady Flames saw multiple players (Keyen Green, Ola Makurat) earn Big South Freshman of the Week honors for the first time since 2009-10.
Individual Accomplishments #3 Nene Johnson • Tied for sixth in the Big South for assists (2.8 apg)
#12 Audrey Rettstatt • Big South All-Academic Team member
#21 Keyen Green • Liberty's first Big South Freshman of the Year since 2001-02
• Second team All-Big South honoree
• Big South All-Freshman Team member
• Named to the all-tournament team at the Navy Classic and Cavalier Classic
• The first player in conference history to win eight Big South Freshman of the Week honors (Dec. 5, Jan. 2, Jan. 9, Jan. 16, Feb. 6, Feb. 13, Feb. 20, Feb. 27)
• Through games played on March 27, ranks No. 5 nationally among freshmen for rebounding (8.1 rpg)
• Big South leader in field goal percentage (.598), offensive rebounds (3.6 rpg) and double-doubles (9), while ranking second in rebounding (8.1 rpg), fourth in blocked shots (1.0 bpg), sixth in defensive rebounds (4.5 rpg) and 10th in scoring (12.3 ppg)
• Her nine double-doubles were tied for the second most by a freshman in program history, and she ranks fifth among Liberty freshmen all-time with 244 rebounds
#24 Iva Ilic • Made the Big South All-Freshman Team
• Led all Big South freshmen with 40 three-pointers made
#35 Ola Makurat • Named to the Big South All-Freshman Team
• Tabbed Big South Freshman of the Week on March 6
• Made 12 straight free throws to end the season
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram