Audrey Rettstatt will be recognized during Saturday's pregame Senior Day ceremony.
Game Day Central Liberty's Game Notes Game Time: 2 p.m. Official Tipoff: 2:05 p.m.
TV Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – TV WFFP ESPN3 Big South Network Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Tilley Color Commentator: Kelley Deyo Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WQLU 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
Today's Game Liberty (12-16, 11-6 Big South) will celebrate Senior Day prior to its regular-season finale against Campbell (21-7, 13-4 Big South), Saturday at 2 p.m. inside the Vines Center. The Lady Flames will look to complete a season sweep of the Camels after recording a 58-52 triumph in Buies Creek on Jan. 31.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Liberty and Campbell both have something to play for on Saturday. The Lady Flames can move up to the No. 3 seed with a win over the Camels and a High Point loss to Radford. Meanwhile, Campbell could earn a share of its first Big South regular-season title since 1990-91 with a victory at the Vines Center and a Radford loss to High Point.
2) Liberty is 7-1 in Big South home games this season and has won five straight home meetings with Campbell since the Camels' last victory in Lynchburg on Nov. 29, 1999.
3) Campbell leads the nation in scoring defense at 47.8 ppg and no Big South team has scored more than 61 points against the Camels this season. Liberty is 2-10 when being held below the 60-point mark, but one of those victories came at Campbell.
4) Audrey Rettstatt, the Lady Flames' lone senior, will be recognized prior to tipoff. She has started 20 games for Liberty this season and is averaging a career-high 5.3 ppg.
5) Freshmen have been featured prominently for Liberty this season, scoring 60.2 percent of the Lady Flames' points. Keyen Green, the Big South's first-ever eight-time Freshman of the Week, leads the way at 12.4 ppg. Classmate Ola Makurat has also been heating up of late. The native of Poland tallied a career-high 19 points against UNC Asheville on Monday and is averaging 11.8 ppg and 8.3 rpg over her last four outings.
Liberty vs. Campbell at a Glance Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 19-13. Current Streak: Liberty has won six consecutive meetings. Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 10-4. Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won five consecutive meetings. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 58, Campbell 52 (Jan. 31, 2017 at Campbell) Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 67, Campbell 55 (Feb. 9, 2016) Campbell's Last Series Victory: Campbell 61, Liberty 55 (OT) (Feb. 1, 2014 at CU) Campbell's Last Series Victory at Liberty: Campbell 64, Liberty 59 (Nov. 29, 1999)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 415-157 (18th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. Campbell: 12-2
Campbell Head Coach: Ronny Fisher Overall Record (Seasons): 118-151 (Ninth Season) Record at Campbell (Seasons): 21-7 (First Season) Record vs. Liberty: 4-13
Notes and Anecdotes • Liberty outscored Campbell 16-6 over the final 4:29 of the teams' Jan. 31 matchup in Buies Creek, pulling out a 58-52 victory and halting the Camels' five-game winning streak. The Lady Flames scored 24 fourth-quarter points on 66.7 percent (8-of-12) shooting from the field and 100 percent from the foul line (6-of-6). Nene Johnson paced Liberty's attack with 13 points, while Summer Price scored a game-high 20 points for the Camels.
• Liberty will attempt to join Radford as the only Big South teams to sweep the regular-season series from Campbell this season.
• Campbell has recorded its first 20-win season since 2000-01 and could earn a share of its first Big South regular-season title since 1990-91 with a win over Liberty and a Radford loss to High Point.
• Campbell is seeking its first win at the Vines Center since a 64-59 triumph on Nov. 29, 1999. That was Carey Green's third game as Liberty's head coach and his first home loss. The Lady Flames have won five straight home meetings with the Camels.
• Campbell ranks No. 1 nationally for scoring defense, allowing only 47.8 ppg. No Big South team has scored more than 61 points against the Camels this season.
• Liberty will face a Ronny Fisher-coached team in the regular-season finale for the second straight year. Presbyterian posted a 57-49 victory at the Vines Center on March 5, 2016.
Liberty in March All-Time Record in March: 70-47 Carey Green's Record in March: 62-22 Record This March: 0-0 Last Five March Records: 2011-12 - 4-1 2012-13 - 4-1 2013-14 - 2-1 2014-15 - 3-1 2015-16 - 3-3
On This Date Liberty is 5-5 all-time on March 4, including 4-0 under Head Coach Carey Green.
What's At Stake? Liberty is currently in position for the No. 4 seed for the Big South Women's Basketball Championship. However, the Lady Flames can move up to No. 3 with a win over Campbell and a High Point loss to Radford on Saturday. The Lady Flames will also look to avoid losing back-to-back Big South games for only the fifth time in Carey Green's 18 seasons as head coach.
Finishing Strongly Liberty is 14-3 in its final game of the regular season under Head Coach Carey Green and had won six regular-season finales in a row prior to last season's 57-49 home setback to Presbyterian.
Saluting the Senior Audrey Rettstatt, Liberty's only senior, will be recognized prior to Saturday's game.
A Look Back at the Lady Flames' 57-53 Loss to UNC Asheville on Monday • The visiting UNC Asheville Bulldogs went on a 13-4 run over the final 1:22, pulling out a gritty 57-53 victory and ending the Lady Flames' eight-game home winning streak.
• Liberty preceded Asheville's game-ending run with an 8-0 surge of its own, going ahead 49-44 when Iva Ilic swished a three-pointer with 3:00 to play. But the Lady Flames' two top scorers, Ola Makurat (career-high and game-high 19 points) and Keyen Green (10 points, 7 rebounds) fouled out within a span of 16 seconds.
• Liberty shot 0-of-4 from the field and 2-of-4 from the foul line during the final 27 seconds, while Asheville closed out its victory by making 5-of-6 free throws.
Spreading the Wealth Liberty has seen eight different players lead the team in scoring during the first 17 games of Big South play, including Lela Sellers (at CSU), Keyen Green (vs. HPU, vs. GWU, at PC, at HPU, at Winthrop), Iva Ilic (vs. PC, at Asheville, vs. Radford, at Longwood), KK Barbour (at GWU), Sheana Vega (vs. Longwood), Audrey Rettstatt (at Radford, vs. CSU), Ola Makurat (vs. Winthrop, vs. Asheville) and Nene Johnson (at Campbell).
Block Party Liberty has blocked 66 shots in its last 12 games, moving the Lady Flames to the top of the Big South Conference with 4.5 bpg on the season. Keyen Green (1.3 bpg) is leading the way during the last 12 contests.
3s are Key During its 12 victories, Liberty is making 7.0 three-pointers per game at a 37.5 percent clip. In its 16 losses, Liberty is hitting 4.5 triples per game and shooting 24.7 percent.
What Can Green Do For You? Keyen Green headlines the Lady Flames' successful freshman class. The Big South Freshman of the Week on Dec. 5, Jan. 2, Jan. 9, Jan. 16, Feb. 6, Feb. 13, Feb. 20 and Feb. 27, Green set a new conference record with her eight Freshman of the Week honors. For the season, Green has recorded eight double-doubles and five 20-point outings. She also ranks No. 5 nationally among freshmen with her 8.0 rpg. Fantastic Freshmen Liberty's seven freshmen have combined to score 60.2 percent of the team's points this season, led by Keyen Green's team-high 12.4 ppg. Three of the team's top four scorers on the year are freshmen.
Winning the Battle of the Boards Liberty has outrebounded 22 of 28 opponents and has grabbed 20 or more offensive rebounds 10 times this season. The Lady Flames currently rank No. 5 nationally with 17.6 offensive boards per game and No. 12 with a +9.1 rebound margin.
The Container is Half Full The Lady Flames are 107-1 under head coach Carey Green when making at least 50 percent of their field goals, including 2-0 this season. Liberty has won the last 34 times it has shot 50 percent or better, since an 83-77 loss to Kentucky in the first round of the 2010 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship (March 20, 2010).
The Container is Half Empty Liberty has held 27 straight opponents below 50 percent field goal shooting, and only three teams in the last 125 games have connected on at least half of their field goal attempts against the Lady Flames. Player Trends #3 Nene Johnson • Leads the team and ranks eighth in the Big South with 2.9 apg, while also pacing the Lady Flames in steals (1.2 spg)
• Has recorded at least one steal in 14 of the 17 Big South contests and is averaging a team-high 1.5 spg during conference games
• Averaging 8.8 ppg during Big South games, as compared with 5.3 ppg in non-conference play
• 25 of her 70 free throw attempts this season have come during the final five minutes of games. She is shooting 72 percent (18-of-25) from the line in those situations.
• Led the Lady Flames in scoring with 13 points during a Jan. 31 win at Campbell #4 Tatyana Crowder • Played all six of her minutes during the fourth quarter at Campbell on Jan. 31, contributing a shot clock buzzer-beating three-pointer with 57.1 seconds remaining, three assists and a steal #12 Audrey Rettstatt • 2016-17 team captain is the lone senior on this year's roster
• Has scored more than twice as many points this season (148) than she did in her first three years combined (60) #20 Sheana Vega • Will celebrate her 21st birthday on Monday (March 6) #21 Keyen Green • Eight-time Big South Freshman of the Week (Dec. 5, Jan. 2, Jan. 9, Jan. 16, Feb. 6, Feb. 13, Feb. 20 & Feb. 27), which is the most Big South Freshman of the Week honors in program and conference history
• Leads the Big South and ranks No. 5 nationally among freshmen for rebounding (8.0 rpg), while also topping the conference in offensive rebounding (3.7 rpg) and field goal percentage (58.8)
• The first Liberty freshman to grab 200+ rebounds since Ashley Rininger in 2012-13 #24 Iva Ilic • Leads the team and ranks first among Big South freshmen with 38 three-pointers. She made at least one triple in nine straight games between Dec. 29-Jan. 28. #30 KK Barbour • Hit 10 straight free throws between Jan. 10-21 and is shooting a team-best 70.9 percent from the line this season (among players averaging at least one attempt per game)
• Had not made a three-pointer during her first 33 career appearances, but has connected on 14 triples in her last 19 games
• Tallied all 11 of her points during the second half of a Jan. 31 victory at Campbell, including a three-pointer with 3:26 left in the fourth quarter which put Liberty on top for good #35 Ola Makurat • Averaging 11.8 ppg and 8.3 rpg over her last four outings
• Has hit 10 consecutive free throws since her last miss on Jan. 10, boosting her percentage to 79.2
• Scored a game-high and career-high 19 points against UNC Asheville on Monday
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram