Keyen Green scored a career-high 26 points and grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds during Liberty's 81-74 victory over High Point on Jan. 7.
Game Day Central Liberty's Game Notes Game Time: 7 p.m. Video Streaming Coverage: Big South Network Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WQLU 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall Today's Game Liberty (9-14, 8-4 Big South) will head to High Point (10-13, 8-4 Big South) on Valentine's Day for a meeting between two of the Big South's hottest teams. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. at the Millis Center as the Lady Flames, winners of four of their last five games, attempt to halt the Panthers' five-game winning streak.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Liberty will look to bounce back from a 56-55 loss at Presbyterian on Saturday. The Lady Flames and Panthers are tied for third place in the Big South standings, just one game behind co-leaders Campbell and Radford with six conference games remaining.
2) Liberty is just 2-11 away from the Vines Center this season, but the Lady Flames have won back-to-back games at the Millis Center. Moreover, the road team is 11-5 in the last 16 Liberty-High Point clashes.
3) The Lady Flames are allowing just 54.0 ppg over their last five games. Their defense will be tested on Tuesday, though, as High Point is averaging 80.4 ppg during its five game winning streak.
4) Liberty, which has seen its last four games decided by a total of 11 points, could be in for another nailbiter on Tuesday. Eleven of the Lady Flames' last 16 meetings with High Point have been decided by single digits, including Liberty's 81-74 home win over the Panthers on Jan. 7.
5) Five-time Big South Freshman of the Week Keyen Green played one of her best games of the season against High Point on Jan. 7, finishing with a career-high 26 points and a game-high 11 rebounds. Liberty vs. High Point at a Glance Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 38-13. Current Streak: Liberty has won six consecutive meetings. Series Record at High Point: Liberty leads, 17-6. Current Streak at High Point: Liberty has won two consecutive meetings. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 81, High Point 74 (Jan. 7, 2017 at Liberty) Last Meeting at High Point: Liberty 73, High Point 68 (Feb. 23, 2016) High Point's Last Series Victory: High Point 94, Liberty 89 (2OT) (Jan. 30, 2014 at LU) High Point's Last Series Victory at Home: High Point 75, Liberty 70 (Dec. 30, 2013)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 412-155 (18th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. High Point: 34-10
High Point Head Coach: DeUnna Hendrix Overall Record (Seasons): 81-68 (Fifth Season) Record at High Point (Seasons): Same Record vs. Liberty: 3-7
Notes and Anecdotes • Liberty and High Point have enjoyed similar seasons. After both teams failed to win a non-conference game against a Division I opponent, the Lady Flames and Panthers have evolved into two of the hottest teams in the Big South. High Point has won five games in a row, while Liberty is 4-1 in its last five outings. The two squads are tied for third place in the Big South at 8-4, one game behind co-leaders Campbell and Radford.
• The Lady Flames won an 81-74 offensive shootout over High Point at the Vines Center on Jan. 7, as the two teams combined for 19 three-pointers. Liberty was led by Keyen Green (career-high 26 points, 11 rebounds) and Nene Johnson (career-high 16 points), while Kaylah Keys (25 points, 4 steals) and Emma Bockrath (19 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists) stood out for the Panthers.
• High Point senior guard Kaylah Keys is the program's all-time NCAA Division I scoring leader and the Big South Conference's active leader with 1,755 career points. By way of comparison, Liberty's entire 15-player roster has totaled 1,667 career points. Keys has scored 118 points in eight career meetings with the Lady Flames, averaging 14.8 ppg.
• Sophomore Emma Bockrath has stepped up during High Point's five-game winning streak, averaging 21.0 ppg. She has recorded three straight 20-point outings.
• Eleven of the last 16 Liberty-High Point contests have been decided by single digits, including a pair of overtime games. On This Date Liberty is 11-3 all-time when playing on Valentine's Day, having won eight consecutive Feb. 14 games in a row. The Lady Flames are 1-0 versus High Point on the date, posting a 77-68 victory over the Panthers on Feb. 14, 2003 at the Vines Center. Liberty sisters Katie Feenstra and Meribeth Anderson combined for 32 points, 11 rebounds and 7 blocks, overcoming Narelle Henry's 26-point, 6-triple outing for High Point.
Road Warriors Tuesday's game is the second stop in a stretch which will see Liberty play four out of five contests on the road. The Lady Flames are just 2-11 away from the Vines Center this season. However, Liberty has won each of its last two games at the Millis Center, and the road team is 11-5 in the last 16 Liberty-High Point tilts.
Terrific Tuesdays Liberty is 5-1 in Tuesday night Big South games this season, highlighted by victories over Big South co-leaders Campbell (Jan. 31) and Radford (Feb. 7) on each of the last two Tuesdays. The Lady Flames also scored a season-high 92 points versus Longwood on a Tuesday (Jan. 17) and became the only Big South visiting team to win at Charleston Southern this season on Jan. 3.
Bouncing Back Liberty has lost back-to-back Big South games only three times during Carey Green's 18 seasons as head coach. One of those occasions came earlier this season, with consecutive setbacks at UNC Asheville (Jan. 21) and Radford (Jan. 24). The Lady Flames have never lost three straight Big South outings under Green's direction. A Look Back at the Lady Flames' 56-55 Loss at Presbyterian on Saturday • Trailing by 11 points entering the fourth quarter, Presbyterian used four triples to come back and overtake Liberty for a 56-55 victory, Saturday evening at the Templeton Center.
• Despite productive outings by Keyen Green (16 points, including 12 in the second half) and KK Barbour (15 points), Liberty fell to 2-11 away from the Vines Center this season and lost in Clinton for the second straight season. The Lady Flames were held to 36.7 percent (18-of-49) from the field and 7.7 percent (1-of-13) from three-point range while committing 21 turnovers.
Spreading the Wealth Liberty has seen eight different players lead the team in scoring during the first 12 games of Big South play, including Lela Sellers (at CSU), Keyen Green (vs. HPU, vs. GWU, at PC), Iva Ilic (vs. PC, at Asheville, vs. Radford), KK Barbour (at GWU), Sheana Vega (vs. Longwood), Audrey Rettstatt (at Radford), Ola Makurat (vs. Winthrop) and Nene Johnson (at Campbell).
Block Party Liberty has blocked 42 shots in its last seven games, moving the Lady Flames to the top of the Big South Conference with 4.5 bpg on the season. Ola Makurat, Keyen Green, and Lela Sellers are all averaging 1.0 bpg or more during the last seven outings.
New Year's Resolution After averaging 54.9 ppg on 32.5 percent from the field and 24.5 percent from three-point range in 11 2016 contests, the Lady Flames have exploded for 69.5 ppg on 42.3 percent from the floor and 36.9 percent from beyond the arc in 2017's first 12 outings.
What Can Green Do For You? Keyen Green headlines the Lady Flames' successful freshman class. The Big South Freshman of the Week on Dec. 5, Jan. 2, Jan. 9, Jan. 16 and Feb. 6, Green leads the conference and ranks No. 4 among the nation's freshmen in rebounding at 8.3 rpg. For the season, Green has recorded seven double-doubles and three 20-point outings. She has joined Michelle Fricke (1999-2000) as the only two Lady Flames ever to win five Big South Freshman of the Week honors in a season. Fantastic Freshmen Liberty's seven freshmen have combined to score 59.4 percent of the team's points this season, led by Keyen Green's team-high 12.0 ppg. Four of the team's top five scorers on the year are freshmen. Winning the Battle of the Boards Liberty has outrebounded 18 of 23 opponents and has grabbed 20 or more offensive rebounds eight times this season. The Lady Flames currently rank No. 6 nationally with 17.9 offensive boards per game and No. 18 with a +8.2 rebound margin.
The Container is Half Full The Lady Flames are 107-1 under head coach Carey Green when making at least 50 percent of their field goals, including 2-0 this season. Liberty has won the last 34 times it has shot 50 percent or better, since an 83-77 loss to Kentucky in the first round of the 2010 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship (March 20, 2010).
The Container is Half Empty Liberty has held 22 straight opponents below 50 percent field goal shooting, and only three teams in the last 120 games have connected on at least half of their field goal attempts against the Lady Flames. Player Trends #3 Nene Johnson • Leads the team and ranks seventh in the Big South with 2.9 apg, while also pacing the Lady Flames in steals (1.3 spg)
• Has recorded at least one steal in every Big South contest and is averaging a team-high 1.8 spg during conference games
• Averaging 9.6 ppg during Big South games, as compared with 5.3 ppg in non-conference play
• Scored a career-high 16 points during a victory over High Point (Jan. 7), including her second straight 13-point first half #4 Tatyana Crowder • Played an impactful eight minutes during a victory over High Point (Jan. 7), blocking the first two shots of her career and scoring a key layup with 1:08 remaining in the contest
• Tallied a career-high 19 minutes played at Presbyterian on Saturday, finishing with a team-high and career-high seven rebounds #10 Kierra Johnson-Graham • Has connected on 18 of her last 22 free throw attempts (81.8 percent) over the last nine games #12 Audrey Rettstatt • Has scored almost twice as many points this season (116) as she did in her first three years combined (60)
• Finished with nine points, five rebounds and a career-high four blocked shots against High Point (Jan. 7). She had only blocked five shots in her career prior to the contest. #21 Keyen Green • Five-time Big South Freshman of the Week (Dec. 5, Jan. 2, Jan. 9, Jan. 16 & Feb. 6), equaling the most Big South Freshman of the Week honors in program history (also Michelle Fricke in 1999-2000)
• Ranks No. 4 nationally among freshmen for rebounding (8.3 rpg)
• Tops the Big South in rebounding and offensive rebounding (3.9 rpg)
• Leads the Lady Flames and ranks ninth in the Big South in scoring (12.0 ppg)
• Led all players in both points (career-high 26) and rebounds (11) during a win over High Point (Jan. 7), recording her third straight double-double.
• Her 26 points versus High Point were the most by a Lady Flame since Feb. 24, 2015 (Ashley Rininger - 27 vs. Winthrop) and the most by a Liberty freshman since Jan. 30, 2010 (Devon Brown - 29 at High Point). #24 Iva Ilic • Leads the team and is tied for first with High Point's Camryn Brown among Big South freshmen with 30 three-pointers. She made at least one triple in nine straight games between Dec. 29-Jan. 28. #30 KK Barbour • After failing to score in double figures during her first 37 career games, Barbour recently posted three straight double-digit efforts (Jan. 10-17).
• Hit 10 straight free throws between Jan. 10-21 and is shooting a team-best 71.4 percent from the line this season
• Had not made a three-pointer during her first 33 career appearances, but is 13-of-28 (46.4 percent) from beyond the arc in her last 14 games
• Scored 15 points at Presbyterian on Saturday, highlighted by a trio of three-point plays
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram