Liberty will play host to High Point for the Lady Flames' Big South home opener, Saturday at 7 p.m. inside the Vines Center.
Game Day Central Liberty's Game Notes Game Time: 7 p.m. Official Tipoff: 7:05 p.m.
TV Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – TV WFFP ESPN3 Big South Network Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Tilley Color Commentator: Kelley Deyo Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WQLU 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
Today's Game Liberty (2-10, 1-0 Big South) will welcome High Point (3-9, 1-0 Big South) to the Vines Center, Saturday at 7 p.m., for the Lady Flames' Big South home opener. The contest will be Saturday's only matchup between 1-0 Big South squads.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Returning home after a stretch where the Lady Flames played eight out of the last nine games away from Lynchburg, Liberty will look to build off of its 81-72 Big South-opening victory at Charleston Southern on Tuesday. The Lady Flames are seeking to win back-to-back games for the first time this season.
2) High Point and Liberty, picked third and fourth, respectively, in the Big South preseason poll, have endured similar seasons to date. Neither team won a Division I non-conference game, but both opened Big South play with an impressive victory on Tuesday.
3) The road team is 11-4 in the last 15 Liberty-High Point clashes contested at either the Vines Center or the Millis Center, although the Lady Flames have recorded back-to-back home wins over the Panthers.
4) Saturday's game will feature the conference's active career scoring leader in High Point senior Kaylah Keys (1,613 points) and the Big South's top-scoring freshman in Liberty's Keyen Green. The reigning Big South Freshman of the Week is averaging 10.5 ppg.
5) Youth will be on display, as Liberty and High Point each feature just one senior and three juniors. The Lady Flames' top three scorers (Keyen Green, Lela Sellers and Ola Makurat) are freshmen, and rookies score 63.6 percent of Liberty's points.
Liberty vs. High Point at a Glance Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 37-13. Current Streak: Liberty has won five consecutive meetings. Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 15-7. Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won two consecutive meetings. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 73, High Point 68 (Feb. 23, 2016 at High Point) Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 56, High Point 43 (Jan. 30, 2016) High Point's Last Series Victory: High Point 94, Liberty 89 (2OT) (Jan. 30, 2014 at LU) High Point's Last Series Victory at Liberty: Same
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 405-151 (18th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. High Point: 33-10
High Point Head Coach: DeUnna Hendrix Overall Record (Seasons): 74-64 (Fifth Season) Record at High Point (Seasons): Same Record vs. Liberty: 3-6
Notes and Anecdotes • High Point was picked to finish third in the Big South preseason poll, one spot ahead of Liberty. Like the Lady Flames, the Panthers struggled in non-conference play, with both of their victories coming against non-Division I opponents. High Point then opened its Big South schedule with an impressive 88-43 home win over Winthrop on Tuesday.
• The Panthers are 0-5 on the road thus far this season.
• High Point senior guard Kaylah Keys is the program's all-time NCAA Division I scoring leader and the Big South Conference's active leader with 1,613 career points. By way of comparison, Liberty's entire 15-player roster has totaled 914 career points. Keys has scored 93 points in seven career meetings with the Lady Flames, averaging 13.3 ppg.
• The road team is 11-4 in the last 15 Liberty-High Point contests played at either the Vines Center or the Millis Center.
• Ten of the last 15 matchups between Liberty and High Point have been decided by single digits, including a pair of overtime contests.
• Liberty defeated High Point in the 2015 Big South Women's Basketball Championship title game. Just two seasons later, only two Lady Flames (Audrey Rettstatt and Sheana Vega) and two Panthers (Kat Harris and Kaylah Keys) who played in that game remain on their respective teams' rosters. Liberty in Big South Home Openers All-Time Record in Big South Home Openers: 18-7 Carey Green's Record in Big South Home Openers: 13-4 Current Streak: Liberty has won three consecutive Big South home openers. Last Year's Big South Home Opener: Liberty 51, Charleston So. 40 (Dec. 5, 2015) Liberty's Last Loss in a Big South Home Opener: Presbyterian 51, LU 49 (Jan. 3, 2013)
On This Date Liberty is 5-4 all-time on Jan. 7, including 0-1 against High Point. The Lady Flames' most recent Jan. 7 contest was a 73-69 overtime setback to High Point at the Vines Center, Jan. 7, 2012.
Shooting Stars Liberty shot an impressive 57.1 percent (12-of-21) from three-point range at Charleston Southern on Tuesday, tying the program record for most three-pointers made in a single game. The Lady Flames previously made a dozen triples during a Jan. 22, 1991 victory over Charleston Southern.
A Look Back at the Lady Flames' 81-72 Win at Charleston Southern on Tuesday • Liberty tied a program single-game record with 12 three-pointers and hit 85.2 percent of its free throws in an 81-72 victory at Charleston Southern, Tuesday at the Buc Dome in both teams' Big South Conference opener.
• Liberty shot a season-high 50 percent (23-of-46) from the field, including 57.1 percent (12-of-21) from beyond the three-point arc. As a result, the Lady Flames snapped their four-game losing streak and a nine-game road/neutral losing skid.
• Lela Sellers hit four of those trifectas as part of a season-high 21-point evening. She was joined in double figures by Nene Johnson (13 points), Audrey Rettstatt (10 points, season-high seven rebounds) and Keyen Green (10 points, 14 rebounds, four blocks).
What Can Green Do For You? Keyen Green headlines the Lady Flames' successful freshman class. The Big South Freshman of the Week on Dec. 5 and Jan. 2, Green leads the conference and ranks No. 2 among the nation's freshmen in rebounding at 8.7 rpg. In her last seven games, Green has recorded four double-doubles (Dec. 4 at Navy, Dec. 10 vs. West Liberty, Dec. 29 vs. UMBC and Jan. 3 at Charleston Southern) and a pair of 20-point outings (Dec. 10 vs. West Liberty and Dec. 20 at UTSA).
Fantastic Freshmen Liberty's seven freshmen have combined to score 63.6 percent of the team's points this season, led by Keyen Green's 10.5 ppg. The Lady Flames' top three scorers on the year are all freshmen, and four rookies (Green, Iva Ilic, Kierra Johnson-Graham and Lela Sellers) started together for the first time versus UMBC on Dec. 29.
Winning the Battle of the Boards Liberty has outrebounded eight of its last 10 opponents, including six games of 20+ offensive rebounds. The Lady Flames currently rank No. 5 nationally with 18.7 offensive boards per game this season.
The Container is Half Full The Lady Flames are 106-1 under head coach Carey Green when making at least 50 percent of their field goals, including 1-0 this season. Liberty has won the last 33 times it has shot 50 percent or better, since an 83-77 loss to Kentucky in the first round of the 2010 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship (March 20, 2010). Player Trends #3 Nene Johnson • Averaging 7.8 ppg away from the Vines Center this season, as compared with 2.3 ppg at home
• Equaled her season high of 13 points at Charleston Southern on Tuesday, scoring all of her points before halftime #10 Kierra Johnson-Graham • Has played well in the second half of games this season, scoring 47 of her 70 points after halftime while shooting 47.1 percent (16-of-34) from the field and 66.7 percent (4-of-6) from three-point range
• Has recorded a blocked shot in each of the last four games
• Has collected five or more rebounds in seven of her last 10 outings #12 Audrey Rettstatt • Scored 10 points, grabbed a season-high seven rebounds and dished out a season-high three assists during the Lady Flames' Big South-opening win at Charleston Southern on Tuesday
• Has scored almost as many points this season (53) as in her first three years combined (60) #14 Lela Sellers • Celebrated her 19th birthday on Thursday (Jan. 5)
• Leads the team and ranks ninth in the Big South in minutes played (30.3 mpg)
• Averaging 11.7 ppg in her last three games, while shooting 50 percent (7-of-14) from three-point range and 90.9 percent (10-of-11) from the foul line
• Scored a season-high 21 points at Charleston Southern on Tuesday, 15 of which came during the second half. She made a season-high four three-pointers and connected on all five of her free throws. #21 Keyen Green • Two-time Big South Freshman of the Week (Dec. 5 & Jan. 2)
• Ranks No. 2 nationally among freshmen for rebounding (8.7 rpg)
• Tops the Big South in rebounding and offensive rebounding (3.9 rpg)
• Leads the Lady Flames in scoring (10.5 ppg) and is the only Big South freshman scoring in double figures this season
• Recorded her second straight double-double and fourth of the season with 10 points, a game-high 14 rebounds and a career-high four blocks at Charleston Southern on Tuesday #24 Iva Ilic • Tied for the team lead with 12 three-pointers, including two against UMBC on Dec. 29. She attempted 16 triples against the Retrievers, the third-most in a game in program history and the most since Jan. 18, 1999 (Sharon Wilkerson - 19 attempts at Charleston Southern). #30 KK Barbour • Liberty's active career rebounding (105 rebounds) leader
• Had not made a three-pointer during her first 33 career appearances, but is 3-of-5 from beyond the arc in her last three games, including 2-of-3 at Charleston Southern on Tuesday #35 Ola Makurat • Shares the team lead with 12 three-pointers, including at least one in each of the last five games
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram