KK Barbour will get to play in her hometown of Charlottesville, Va., at this week's Cavalier Classic.
Game Day Central Page Liberty's Women's Basketball Game Notes Game Time: 4:30 p.m. Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WQLU 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall Tournament At a Glance Liberty (1-8) will close out the non-conference portion of its 2016-17 schedule with two neutral-site games at the Cavalier Classic, Wednesday and Thursday at John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville, Va.
The Lady Flames' first-ever meeting with Dayton (5-6) will come in the tournament's opening game, Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. Liberty will be facing its second Atlantic-10 opponent of the season, following a 63-54 loss to Richmond on Dec. 3.
Liberty will then square off against UMBC (3-7), Thursday at 4:30 p.m. The Lady Flames and Retrievers have met 25 times, but not since Jan. 29, 1998, when UMBC was a Big South Conference member.
The Lady Flames will seek to avoid their first 1-9 start in program history and halt a seven-game road/neutral losing skid, which dates back to last season.
Coming off of a season-high 21-point outing at UTSA on Dec. 20, Keyen Green leads Liberty in points (9.8 ppg), rebounds (7.9 rpg), blocks (0.7 bpg) and FG percentage (50.0). Liberty vs. Dayton at a Glance Series History Series Record: First meeting
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 404-149 (18th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. Dayton: 0-0
Dayton Head Coach: Shauna Green Overall Record (Seasons): 34-31 (Third Season) Record at Dayton (Seasons): 5-6 (First Season) Record vs. Liberty: 0-0
Notes and Anecdotes • Dayton will be the fourth consecutive first-time opponent Liberty is facing, following West Liberty, Central Arkansas and UTSA.
• Both Liberty and Dayton are 0-1 versus Atlantic-10 Conference foes this season. The Flyers opened league play with a 54-51 home loss to La Salle on Dec. 4. One day earlier, Liberty had suffered a 63-54 setback to Richmond at the Navy Classic in Annapolis, Md.
• The Lady Flames are 7-14 all-time against Atlantic-10 opponents, including 7-11 under Head Coach Carey Green. Liberty has dropped five straight road/neutral Atlantic-10 matchups since a 73-53 win over La Salle on Dec. 29, 2010 in College Park, Md.
• Liberty is 4-7 all-time when facing opponents from Ohio. The Lady Flames will be squaring off with a Buckeye State foe for the second straight season, following a 75-65 loss to No. 11/14 Ohio State on Nov. 27, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nev.
• Both Liberty and Dayton played in the Postseason WNIT and lost in the first round a year ago. The Flyers, appearing in a postseason tournament for the ninth straight year, lost their opening-round contest at Western Kentucky, closing the season at 14-15.
• Dayton was picked to tie for second in the Atlantic-10 standings this season, but the Flyers endured a tough start to their season, losing four of their first nine games by four points or fewer. However, Dayton is coming off of two impressive victories at the Florida Sunshine Classic, headlined by a 74-57 triumph over Texas A&M (Dec. 20).
• Like Liberty freshman Iva Ilic, Dayton senior Andrijana Cvitkovic is a native of Croatia. Both Ilic and Cvitkovic have spent time playing on the U-18 Croatian National Team.
• Dayton redshirt junior Alex Harris spent her first two seasons at Penn State and was on the Nittany Lions' bench for an 80-68 loss to Liberty on Nov. 28, 2014 in Atlanta, Ga. On This Date Liberty is 4-2 all-time on Dec. 28, including 1-0 at John Paul Jones Arena. The Lady Flames defeated Cornell 70-40 on Dec. 28, 2009 in the opening game of the Cavalier Classic. Familiar Facility Liberty will be playing its fifth and sixth games at John Paul Jones Arena, which opened in time for the 2006-07 season. The Lady Flames are 2-2 all-time at the facility, including 1-2 versus Virginia and 1-0 in neutral-site matchups. Liberty became the first visiting men's or women's basketball team to win at John Paul Jones Arena when the Lady Flames notched a 75-71 victory over the Cavaliers on Nov. 20, 2006. The Lady Flames have made one previous Cavalier Classic appearance in John Paul Jones Arena history, doing so on Dec. 28-29, 2009. Liberty defeated Cornell by a 70-40 count in the opening round before falling 63-54 to No. 21/23 Virginia in the title contest. Liberty sophomore KK Barbour graduated from Albemarle High School, which is located less than three miles from John Paul Jones Arena.
Tournament Time Six of Liberty's 11 non-conference games are part of tournaments, including the Navy Classic (Dec. 3-4, Annapolis, Md.), Rae & Craig Blair Memorial Tournament (Dec. 19-20, San Antonio, Texas) and Cavalier Classic (Dec. 28-29, Charlottesville, Va.). The Lady Flames have gone 0-2 at each of their first two tournaments this season. Liberty is playing three regular-season tournaments for the first time since 2008-09 (Preseason WNIT, GW Thanksgiving Classic and Hokie Hardwood Classic). The Lady Flames' last 2-0 tournament performance came on Nov. 28 & 30, 2014, when Liberty defeated Penn State and Georgia State to win the GSU Thanksgiving Tournament title in Atlanta, Ga.
Road Warriors The Lady Flames are in the midst of a stretch of eight road/neutral games in nine outings. Liberty is 1-5 during the span thus far, with the victory coming in its lone December home game, against West Liberty (Dec. 10). The challenging stretch will see Liberty play games in five different states, including Indiana, Maryland, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia. Last season, the Lady Flames were 10-9 in games played away from Lynchburg. It was the ninth straight year Liberty has posted a winning record in road/neutral contests.
Slow Start Liberty is off to its worst nine-game start to a season (1-8) since the 1993-94 Lady Flames also won only one of their first nine contests. The Lady Flames have never opened a year at 1-9. At the Cavalier Classic, Liberty will seek its first 2016-17 victory away from Lynchburg. The Lady Flames are 0-5 away from the Vines Center this season and have lost seven consecutive road/neutral tilts, dating back to last season. What Can Green Do For You? Keyen Green headlines the Lady Flames' successful freshman class. The Big South Freshman of the Week on Dec. 5, Green leads the conference and ranks No. 6 among the nation's freshmen in rebounding at 7.9 rpg. In her last four games, Green has recorded two double-doubles (Dec. 4 at Navy and Dec. 10 vs. West Liberty) and a pair of 20-point outings (Dec. 10 vs. West Liberty and Dec. 20 at UTSA).
Fantastic Freshmen Liberty's seven freshmen have combined to score 62.6 percent of the team's points this season, led by Keyen Green's 9.8 ppg. The Lady Flames' top five scorers on the year are all freshmen. Winning the Battle of the Boards Liberty has outrebounded six of its last seven opponents, including five games of 20+ offensive rebounds. The Lady Flames currently rank No. 4 nationally with 19.0 offensive boards per game this season.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram