Game Day Central Page Liberty's Women's Basketball Game Notes Game Time: 7 p.m. Official Tipoff: 7:05 p.m.
TV Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – TV WFFP ESPN3 Big South Network Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Tilley Color Commentator: Kelley Deyo Sideline Reporter: Monika McKenzie Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WQLU 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
Today's Game Liberty (0-2) will close out its season-opening three-game homestand by playing host to Appalachian State (1-1) for the first time since 1988-89, the Lady Flames' first NCAA Division I season. The contest is slated for Thursday at 7 p.m. inside the Vines Center.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Liberty will attempt to pick up its first win of the season against Appalachian State for the second straight year. The Lady Flames posted a 74-68 season-opening victory in Boone on Nov. 13, 2015, but only two current Liberty players (KK Barbour and Audrey Rettstatt) appeared in that game.
2) Liberty has defeated a Sun Belt opponent in each of the last two seasons, including a 73-71 triumph at Georgia State on Nov. 30, 2014 and last year's victory at Appalachian State.
3) The Lady Flames will look to snap their three-game home losing streak, the team's longest run of losses at home since the 1995-96 season.
4) After Thursday, Liberty will only have one more home game in 2016. Eight of the Lady Flames' next nine contests following the Appalachian State matchup will be played away from Lynchburg.
5) Freshmen have played a key role for Liberty during the season's first two games. Three freshmen (Keyen Green, Ola Makurat and Lela Sellers) have started both contests. Meanwhile, freshmen paced the Lady Flames in scoring (Kierra Johnson-Graham) and rebounding (Green) against James Madison on Tuesday.
Liberty vs. Appalachian State at a Glance Series History Series Record: Appalachian State leads, 2-1. Current Streak: Liberty won the most recent meeting. Series Record at Liberty: Appalachian State leads, 1-0. Current Streak at Liberty: Appalachian State won the only previous meeting. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 74, Appalachian State 68 (Nov. 13, 2015 at ASU) Last Meeting at Liberty: Appalachian State 91, Liberty 82 (Feb. 4, 1989) ASU's Last Series Victory: Appalachian State 96, Liberty 52 (Feb. 28, 1989 at ASU) Liberty's Last Series Victory at Home: None
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 403-143 (18th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. Appalachian State: 1-0
Appalachian State Head Coach: Angel Elderkin Overall Record (Seasons): 25-37 (Third Season) Record at Appalachian State (Seasons): Same Record vs. Liberty: 0-1
Notes and Anecdotes • Thursday's game will be Appalachian State's first visit to the Vines Center. The Mountaineers' only previous game at Liberty (Feb. 4, 1989) was played at Liberty Gym.
• Appalachian State is 1-1 to start the season, including a 72-67 victory over Gardner-Webb on Saturday in Chicago. The Mountaineers are slated to face four Big South opponents this season. Following its early matchups with Gardner-Webb and Liberty, Appalachian State will host Radford on Dec. 4 and UNC Asheville on Dec. 21.
• Liberty is looking to defeat a Sun Belt opponent for the third straight season. The Lady Flames recorded a 73-71 victory at Georgia State on Nov. 30, 2014 and opened the 2015-16 season with a 74-68 triumph at Appalachian State.
• Only two current Lady Flames (KK Barbour and Audrey Rettstatt) appeared in last year's season opener at Appalachian State. Ashley Rininger paced the Lady Flames with 23 points and 11 rebounds, while Joi Jones scored a team-high 18 points for the Mountaineers.
• Coming off of a 10-20 season, Appalachian State was picked to finish eighth in the Sun Belt this year.
• The Mountaineers are opening the season with five straight road games and will not play their home opener until Nov. 27.
On This Date Liberty is 4-2 all-time on Nov. 17, including victories in each of its last three contests on the date. The Lady Flames posted a 59-40 win over Buffalo at the Michigan State Spartan Chevrolet Classic on Nov. 17, 2001 and recorded home victories over UNCG (60-42 on Nov. 17, 2009) and Sacred Heart (68-63 on Nov. 17, 2012).
Tar Heel State Tussle Liberty is facing a team from North Carolina for the second time during the season's opening week, following its 98-38 loss to Duke on Friday. The Lady Flames, who have 10 games scheduled against Tar Heel State opponents this season, were 8-5 against North Carolina-based foes in 2015-16. Three current Lady Flames have North Carolina ties, including Kaila Ballard (native of Gatesville). Additionally, Stephanie Patton graduated from Hayesville High School in Hayesville, N.C., and Jordan Woods spent her first year of college at Davidson in Davidson, N.C.
Uncommon Occurrence Dating back to last season, Liberty has lost three straight home games. This is the Lady Flames' longest home losing skid since Liberty dropped four straight at the Vines Center spanning Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 1996.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram