Information we collect
We collect various types of information from our website visitors so we can adjust our websites to meet our users' needs and expectations. Some of this information is collected automatically and other information is provided by site users.
Information collected automatically
We collect limited, non-personal identifying information your browser makes available when visiting websites. This information, which helps us assess the effectiveness of our websites, includes:
- Your Internet Protocol address
- The Browser type (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.)
- Your computer’s operating system (Windows, Macintosh, etc.)
- Your Internet domain (AOL, Earthlink, etc.)
- URLs of the websites you come to our websites from
- The pages on our website that you visit
- Your country, territory, or region
Information you provide to us
You provide information to Liberty when you fill out online forms on our websites or use a login-required service. Depending on the type of the service, we use your information in different ways as outlined below.
Inquiry and application forms
- Your contact information is used to contact you by phone and/or email in order to provide information about the university.
- If you do not wish to provide your contact information online, you may call the university and request that information be sent through the mail.
Purchasing merchandise or donating to the university
- Your contact information is used to send merchandise to you, and to contact you if necessary.
- Your financial information is used for billing.
- If you do not wish to provide your contact or financial information online, you may call the university to place an order or donate.
Login sites and services
- Various websites and web services of Liberty University require users to log in to gain access to information and tools reserved for students, faculty and staff.
- Creation of a login account requires you to provide your student or faculty/staff ID number.
Our security measures
Our university websites have security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of the information under our control. We utilize industry standard SSL encryption when accepting your credit card information during the online ordering process, as well as whenever we ask you to log in to any of the university's online student and faculty services.
Liberty University does not sell, rent, or share your personal information to any outside organizations. Liberty will abide by all applicable laws governing the release of personal information.
Collective information about site users – but never individuals’ information – is used in marketing, advertising and other relationships with third parties.
The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, or COPPA, applies to the collection of personal information from children under 13. The Liberty University Online Academy (www.libertyonlineacademy.com) offers programs for students in grades K-12. It collects personal identifying information through its inquiry and application forms. Although the forms ask for the personal information of the parent or guardian, not the child, Liberty University Online Academy realizes that children may occasionally fill out and submit these forms.
Parents may ask to have the child’s personal identifying information deleted by using the contact information below.
Liberty University Online Academy
1971 University Boulevard
Lynchburg, VA 24502
Personal information collected on the Liberty University Online Academy website is not shared with third parties.
How we use this information
Liberty University uses information collected automatically to better understand the needs of website visitors so that we may improve our websites and services.
Information you provide may be used by the university for marketing purposes. If you do not wish to receive marketing emails or phone calls, you may use the opt-out feature on our emails or call the university at (800) 543-5317 or (800) 424-9595.
How to update your information
Our student and faculty services sites, including ASIST, provide you with the option of changing and modifying information you have previously provided to us.
Changes to this policy
Latest Update: June 2010