With the loosening of Covid-19 restrictions in Virginia, we are happy to be holding degree presentation ceremonies in person this May!
In-person graduation ceremonies will be held throughout the week of May 11th-15th. This is where students will bring their families to campus and participate in a degree ceremony in which each attending graduate will have their name called as they walk across the stage.
The in-person degree ceremonies will be live-streamed on our website and on social media so family and friends of the attending graduates can watch in real-time.
In-person degree presentation ceremonies begin on Tuesday, May 11th and are scheduled to run the entire week. To find your school’s scheduled ceremony please use the link below.
To remain in compliance with the current Covid-19 restrictions in Virginia we are using our two largest outdoor venues for in-person ceremonies – Liberty’s Academic Lawn and Williams Stadium. The link above will show you when and where your in-person ceremony is scheduled for.
Prior to attendance we require graduates to:
- Secure tickets to their department’s in-person ceremony.
- For assistance with tickets please call the Ticket Office Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm at (434)-582-7328.
- Obtain regalia for their ceremony.
- Online ordering for regalia has closed but a limited quantity will be available at the Liberty bookstore on the week of Commencement.
- If you have not received your honors cord/medallion in the mail by the time of your event you can claim one when you arrive at your ceremony. These will be available at Commencement Information tables that are scattered throughout each venue. They will be marked with a flag.
- Bring their reader card – this will be mailed to attending graduates prior to the ceremony and is used to call your name as you walk across the stage.
- If you forget or misplace your reader card – a replacement can be given at our Commencement Information tables that are scattered throughout each venue.
We are using our two largest outdoor venues for in-person ceremonies – Liberty’s Academic Lawn and Williams Stadium.
For graduates attending an event on the Academic Lawn you’ll need to park at the Academic Commons Parking Garage – located northwest of the Scriptorium/Freedom Tower when viewing the campus map (link below)
ADA parking for this venue will be available on the third level of the parking garage – you must have an ADA/handicapped placard to park on this level.
For graduates attending an event at Williams Stadium you’ll need to park at the Runk & Pratt Parking Garage – located southeast of the Vines Center when viewing the campus map (link below).
ADA parking for this venue will be available in the Liberty University Barnes & Noble Bookstore parking lot – you must have an ADA/handicapped placard to park in this lot.
Upon entry at each event, graduates will head to the assigned seating area. For the Academic Lawn this will be right in front of the stage; for Williams Stadium this will be on the field level. We’ll have ushers to help provide directions. There will be no traditional procession of graduates this year. We look forward to having that again next year.
Family/friends will need to head to their seating areas as well. For the Academic Lawn seating pods are distributed via ushers on a first come – first served basis. For Williams Stadium each group of guests is assigned a seating pod within the stands.
Graduates and guests are encouraged to arrive 30-45 minutes early at their event. The gates open 1 hour prior to each event’s start time.
Each degree ceremony will feature an address to the graduates from their academic department Dean/Chair. Most of the ceremony will feature the graduates walking the stage as their name is called.
Graduates will be called up by row and then announced one-by-one to walk across the stage and take a picture with their department Dean. We anticipate each ceremony to last 90-120 minutes and we ask that each graduate remain at the event even after their name is called.
- To remain in compliance with crowd sizes we established multiple days of ceremonies.
- Families will be seated in pods of 6 people and will be socially distanced by 10 feet from all other seating pods.
- Each venue will be deep cleaned and sanitized after each event per the State of Virginia’s guidelines.
- Per the Governor’s order – we are not selling food/drink within the venues. Water bottles will be provided to each guest in attendance and dining locations on campus will be available outside of event venues. You can find a full list of dining locations here; https://www.liberty.edu/commencement/housing-dining/
- Face masks are required for all guests and graduates in attendance.
In an effort to enhance safety and expedite entrance times to each venue, Liberty has implemented a clear bag policy. We will distribute clear bags to guests at the gates.
The clear bags are 12” x 6” x 12” (or one-gallon bag).
All bags are subject to a search prior to admission to the venue.
Please follow all instructions of security when visiting campus for degree presentation ceremonies.
Prohibited items include:
- Aerosols – silly string – Hover boards / skateboards
- Alcoholic beverages – Illegal drugs
- Animals (other than service animals / guide dogs) – Illegal weapons (toy guns)
- Balloons – Laser pointers
- Bicycles – Packages
- Coolers or containers – Selfie Sticks
- Drones and other unmanned aircraft systems – Structures
- Fireworks or explosives – Supports for signs and placards
- Glass, thermal, or metal containers – Wrapped gifts
Allowable items include:
- Binoculars – Diaper bags
- Cameras – Snacks / water
- Cellphones – Strollers / Wheelchairs
- Chair cushions / seat cushions
In the event that one or more degree presentation ceremonies have rain, the following plan will be utilized for Commencement week.
- If heavy rain or impending thunderstorms are in the forecast, University leadership will make a decision on whether or not a degree presentation ceremony can be held as soon as possible. If there is heavy rain or the high risk of a thunderstorm, the impacted ceremonies will be moved to Sunday, May 16.
- If a ceremony is moved, the tickets that were previously claimed for the ceremony will work at the ceremony on Sunday.
- The degree presentation ceremonies will continue if there is light rain or a passing shower with no safety risk and ponchos will be provided to guests.
- If there is impending rain in the forecast, please stay tuned to your Liberty email, the Commencement website, and Commencement social media for announcements.