Students unite in their love for mathematics in honor society

Math. A subject that makes some students shudder, while others get ignited by the challenges it presents. Though some students may despise the very idea of math, others harbor a deep passion for it. Liberty’s Kappa Mu Epsilon, or KME, is a specialized honor society that was founded to promote the interest of mathematics among students. 

Andrew Volk, professor of mathematics, acts as the KME faculty sponsor. He serves and mentors the students of the organization. Volk connects students with opportunities for research, internships and other educational experiences to help them be successful as they pursue their mathematical endeavors. 

“As a math professor, I am deeply passionate about creativity, problem-solving and equality at the heart of mathematics,” Volk said. “I believe that mathematics provides a powerful platform for exploring new ideas, developing innovative solutions to complex problems and pushing the boundaries of human knowledge and imagination.”

Throughout the semester, KME hosts several events for members, including a bowling night and a math talk event, where a professor shares about a topic and students respond in discussion about the research they have done. 

KME recognizes and supports students who share this passion for math and are committed to excellence in their academic pursuits. 

“I enjoy that math always has a right answer. It is not based on opinion, but it is objectively based on facts,” Madison Gaines, a senior applied mathematics and statistics, said. “My favorite part about being in (KME) is getting to be around other math majors that have a similar mindset as me, and we can also help each other get through our hard classes.” 

This month, KME will be inducting new members for the club. Emily Bracco, a senior applied mathematics and statistics major, was inducted this past November.

“I was very excited to receive the invitation. We all got little pins, and (we) will receive cords for graduation for being in the society,” Bracco said. “Sharing that news with my family was very rewarding for me.”

The KME society provides a place for students to come together as followers of Christ and to explore their gifts in mathematics to gain a better perspective of God’s world. The faculty members involved are committed to creating a culture in which students can learn from one another and pursue excellence in the realm of mathematics. 

“By providing a common language and a toolkit for understanding the world, mathematics can help to break down barriers and promote greater understanding and cooperation across cultures and communities,” Volk said. “Above all, I am passionate about mathematics because it can transform our knowledge of the world and the world itself.” 

Ferree is a feature reporter for the Liberty Champion