FACS students sell their handmade products at spring pop-up shop

The Family and Consumer Sciences department hosted its annual spring pop-up shop on April 21. Over the last few months, students taking FACS classes have been working diligently to put together their own products to feature for this special event. This opportunity gave students a space to showcase their talents and abilities in a collaborative environment. 

The event had many different pop-ups filled with all sorts of items, including flower bouquets, tote bags, succulent plants, picture frames, handmade beaded bracelets, journals and even treats for pets. 

Meagan Palermo, an event coordinating major, set up a flower bouquet bar. A variety of beautifully colored flowers lined her table. Customers could choose their favorite flowers to make their very own personal bouquet. Palermo’s marketing skills and creativity have been strengthened through her experiences in the artistic realm. 

“The purpose behind my idea of the flower bouquet table was to bring joy to people during these hectic last few weeks of the school year,” Palermo shared. 

Another booth featured Bohemian wall decor for customers to buy and decorate their favorite spaces. Marissa Willis is a double major in professional and creative industries and event planning, with a minor in business. Her business “Boho Bliss” seeks to inspire people to express their creativity and brighten up any space with hand-crafted decorations. 

“Some skills that I’ve gained from this class are that I’ve learned how to start a business, start my first blog,” Willis said. “On the day of the pop-up shop, I will have the opportunity to interact with customers face-to-face, and hopefully my business will be a success.” 

Meghin Lundy laid out personally designed journals that she had created. Journaling has many health benefits and can be very beneficial to reducing stress as well as a tool for helping individuals process emotions. The name of Lundy’s shop is called “Holy Joy” because of the simple truth of knowing that joy comes from the Lord. 

“I am passionate about encouraging others and helping them improve their mental health. Joy is contentment despite the circumstances we are placed in. God gives us the fullness of joy,” Lundy said. “Psalm 16:11 says, ‘You (God) make known to me the path of life; in your presence, there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.’ I give all the glory to God because he is the professional counselor.”

Ferree is a feature reporter for the Liberty Champion