Fall Fest Recap 2022

With a line that looked to be about as long as one at an amusement park, there was no shortage of people excited to attend Fall Fest despite it being moved to the LaHaye Event Space due to the rainy weather.

Once students made it to the front of the line, they chose a pumpkin from the table at the door and headed inside to join the fun. 

While serenaded by country classics such as “Jolene” and “Country Roads” sung by student bands Luke and Lady and Maria Anderson, there was a variety of activities for students to choose for entertainment.  

In one corner was everyone’s favorite thing: free food. Student Activities offered a make your own trail mix station, apple cider and a full bag of kettle corn for each student to enjoy as they listened to the bands. They could try their hand at a ring toss and watch people fall off the mechanical bull. 

“I loved watching the mechanical bull,” freshman Emma Johnson said. “It was so fun to watch people slip off only a few seconds into their ride — not that I would be any
better at it.” 

Painting stations provided materials for students to put those pumpkins they picked up at the door to good use. They had plenty of paint colors to work with as they created masterpieces on their pumpkin canvases. From tiny ghosts, to bats, to an incredibly detailed cornucopia, Liberty students showcased their artistic skills. 

While students painted their pumpkins, they had an excellent view of the pie eating contest. Four brave students, two girls and two guys, competed to prove who could inhale an apple pie the fastest. Although Axel, one of the participants, was hoping for a pumpkin pie instead, he still took home the prize. He finished more of his pie in 60 seconds than the other contestants.

“A pie eating contest was an event that my high school used to put on in October as well, so seeing one here at Liberty made me think of home,” Johnson said. “All of it — the music, the activities (and) the food — reminded me of the fall festivals I used to go to every year back home.”

After the pie eating contest, two line dancing instructors took the stage. In just a few minutes, the room was full of stomps, claps and laughter as students showed off the new routine they had learned. 

“I had a great time at Fall Fest,” Johnson said. “Fall is my favorite season, but living in Florida my whole life, I’ve never been able to have the real experience. Now, I finally get the chance to watch the leaves change. I’m so excited to experience fall
at Liberty.” 

Perez is a news reporter for the Liberty Champion