First Open Mic of the semester gives students a stage for singing, comedy and spoken word

Student Activities hosted its second Open Mic of the fall semester in the Montview Student Union Aug. 30, giving students the opportunity to showcase talents to their peers. 

With a stage in front of Starbucks and an open sign-up sheet, the event encouraged all students to brave their stage fright and sing into the mic. A group of more than 50 students watched the acts perform their talents, which included singing, comedy, poetry and spoken word. 

Open Mic is one of many activities hosted by Student Activities each semester. These events provide opportunities for students to interact with a wide variety of people across Liberty’s campus. 

Justin Gibble, Student Activities event supervisor, noted that interactions like these are fantastic ways for students to build community on campus.

“Whether students attend to perform or just watch, community is built through continued participation in our beloved traditions like these,” Gibble said.

Junior Brené Osenbaugh said Open Mic and other Student Activities events provide her with a break from her demanding school schedule and provide a chance to connect with other students.

“I came to Open Mic in order to get a break from studying and all of my coursework,” Osenbaugh said. “I really love music, and Open Mic gives students a fantastic way to enjoy some of that, and the event gives us all a place to unplug and connect with each other.”

Performing in Open Mic also allows dozens of students to connect with each other and demonstrate their abilities in front of a crowd. 

“I came to Open Mic in order to showcase what I can do with my singing,” junior Corey Wall said. “(Open Mic) also gives me the opportunity to meet and connect with other musicians.”

The added audience provided by Open Mic also gives musicians, comedians, actors and public speakers the opportunity to polish their craft in front of a live audience. The experience provided by live performing in Student Activities events enables students to display their talents in a low-pressure environment.

“I sing and play guitar a lot at my church, but I don’t get a lot of experience performing outside of church,” sophomore Sean Wall said. “This gives me the opportunity to get some experience and improve my performing skills.”

For more information on more Student Activities events and additional Open Mic dates, visit https://www.liberty.edu/campusrec/student-activities/.

Rolfsen is a news reporter for the Liberty Champion. Follow him on Twitter