Lauren’s Library Nook: “Pride And Prejudice”

If I had to choose only one classic book to hold onto for the rest of my life, it would easily be “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen. Not for the sole reason of it being a romance novel, although I do appreciate the type of cherished love that Elizabeth Bennet and Darcy Fitzwilliam share, but to keep it simple, I think Austen’s words are beautifully crafted and paint the story of each character’s reality in a way that we all can relate to.

I first read this book my freshman year of college and I regret not reading it sooner in life because it made me appreciate a love that was untouched by modern culture and instead upheld morals and standards that are rare to find today.

Mr. Darcy says to Elizabeth, “You have bewitched me body and soul. And I love … I love … I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on.”

But to say that Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy’s love story was easily attained would undermine their relationship and the individual character development that they go through within the novel — from start to finish.

Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy first meet at a ball where their initial interaction with one another does not seem promising of any kind of future. Mr. Darcy is quick to make remarks towards Elizabeth, such as calling her “tolerable.” Elizabeth does not take this comment well, as any female wouldn’t, and decides to not only confront him but to make it known that she does not care for his character. 

Although their run-ins and conversations that follow seem to be driven by their anger towards one another, it is obvious that through the tension, there is attraction.

Which leads to a very unromantic proposal — one that no girl ever wishes for but is exactly what Elizabeth gets — Mr. Darcy confessing his love and asking for her hand in marriage despite his pride. Rightfully so, Elizabeth not only rejects him but gives him reason after reason why she has succumbed to dislike him.

Which leads to a letter — one that every girl wishes for when their boyfriend or husband messes up. Elizabeth gets a letter from Mr. Darcy explaining his flawed behavior and why he did and said the things that pushed her away. Through this act, Elizabeth realizes that underneath it all, Mr. Darcy is a good man and would make a good husband. 

I’m thrilled to say their love story does not stop there. 

Naturally, they begin to fall in love the more time that they spend with each other, and their love is gentle and respectful.

Of course, Mr. Darcy takes a second shot at proposing to Elizabeth — and this time she happily accepts.

I think one thing that I love about “Pride and Prejudice,” and really any of Jane Austen’s novels, is that there is never a moment sealed with a kiss. 

No, not even after Mr. Darcy’s second proposal to Elizabeth.

I know this type of protected romance is not really carried through in modern novels, but I find it to be something special and keeps the anticipation growing for the reader. Leaving out a kiss leaves room to understand the emotional connection between the characters and also shows the intentions of their hearts.

As I looked for book quotes to express how “Pride and Prejudice” made me feel, I think one from Caroline Bingley, an antagonist in the book, will suffice.

She says, “I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”

I’d like to think that Austen included this quote to pull at the heartstrings of book lovers — I know it did mine. I couldn’t imagine a world without books — one where creativity never bled onto the pages and millions of different stories were never told. Without them, there would be no progression of literature, no name for Jane Austen and no “Pride and Prejudice.”

If you haven’t read this classic and want a book that will stir your emotions while bringing you into a time far different from today, this one’s for you. 

Shank is the Editor-in-Chief. Follow her on Twitter