Sonic-Con Rundown

Imagine being a kid again, sitting in front of your television watching classic Saturday morning cartoons and being inspired to create something similar. Now, imagine sitting as an adult and hearing those very same voices behind the cartoons you grew up watching, sharing the advice and knowledge they learned from their industry. 

That is the feeling that Sonic-Con instills within viewers — inspiration.

Media professionals such as Butch Hartman, the creator of animated shows such as “Danny Phantom” and the “Fairy Odd Parents,” and Rob Paulsen, an experienced and skilled voice actor from shows like Animaniacs and “Jimmy Neutron,” were among the many all-star guests who came and shared their personal experiences and lessons during the convention. 

Hartman and Paulsen described in masterclasses and panels how they found their respective starts in the media industry and imparted wisdom to the attendees.

“I’m hoping that people can get a lot out of what I have to say about working in the industry, about filmmaking and about knowing what your vision is. It’s not just about having talents but knowing how to use the talents — that’s what I’m here trying to get across to people,” Hartman said. 

According to Hartman, the media industry should not be exclusive to a select few; rather, anyone who is willing to use their creative abilities for others can get involved. 

“If you have a heart to do entertainment and tell stories, then you can do it as well,” Hartman said. “It’s about getting out of your comfort zone and knowing what your vision is, knowing how to utilize the gifts that God gave you and how to influence the world in a better way.”

Students came away from the convention with various lessons to apply to their education and future careers. Digital media audio major Jadzia Café found the masterclasses to be her favorite part of the convention. Certain speakers provided information and lessons that helped remind her why she chose her major in the first place.

“They [masterclasses] were just so rich and really full of content that points me back to the whole point of why I’m in my major and points me back to the ultimate creator, God,” Café said. 

Café recalled a piece of advice shared by one of the masterclass teachers, that remaining close to God is the best way to ensure one’s creative work maintains a sense of morality and reflects a life centered around him. It was lessons such as these, according to Café, which made Sonic-Con so impactful.

“That really makes me wonder, ‘Am I maintaining my relationship with God so that the content I create is worth listening to? Is it worthy of the kingdom?’ And those little things — just sprinkled in there, in the masterclasses, in the panel discussions — are just absolute gold,” Café said.

Digital media audio major Moriah Sprinkel found encouragement in the words that Hartman shared during the keynote of Sonic-Con. 

“My favorite aspect was when Butch Hartman was talking about not having fear in terms of pursuing what you want to pursue in a career,” Sprinkel said. “I know for me, I failed quite a few times, and the things that I value are the things that I want to become. So, that was kind of a really good reinforcement for me to know that I should just keep going, and if I fail, I need to pick myself up and keep going.”

Sonic-Con is a learning experience for students of the creative arts as they are provided with an environment that allows them to learn from and network with media professionals. 

“I think [Sonic-Con is] important because it allows folks to experiment. That’s what you’re in college to do. This is where you should make mistakes,” Paulsen said. “This is where you should try stuff…And when you do make a mistake, you learn to own it and fix it, and then be better the next time, which is exactly what I’ve done. I think that doing it in a fun atmosphere just kind of speaks for itself.”

For more information about Sonic-Con, check out its website sonic-con.org or its Instagram @sonic_con.

Tso is a feature writer.