Wedding Videographer Uses Skillset To Commemorate Couple’s Special Day

Slow motion shots of couples exchanging first looks, intimate letters and vows are arranged to tell the story of each couple’s romantic journey in a matter of minutes. Sydney Sigmon, a senior studying strategic communication with a minor in digital media video, has just launched a new videography business, Sydney Sigmon Films, that captures arguably the most important moments in a couple’s life together. 

Sigmon is an East Coast wedding and elopement videographer who is passionate about capturing real events and real love stories through her gift of filming.

“I love people…I am a big people person,” Sigmon said. “And I love that I get to be with these people when they are in the happiest moments of their lives. It’s a gift to be able to film something the Lord has graciously given us, like the gift of marriage, and get to capture that and retell it.”

Sigmon developed her love for visual arts after discovering her passion for photography at an early age. However, she found a stronger passion in moving pictures her senior year of high school after taking a broadcasting class and learning how to film.

“The aspect of videoing that I enjoy more is the movement and motion of it versus a still image,” Sigmon said. “My youth pastor was getting married, and I offered to film their wedding video for free, so I did that my freshman year of college…from there, I just began getting a lot of inquiries.”

Sigmon said her true creativity comes to life when she compiles and arranges various shots. The editing process can be the most crucial point in recreating each couple’s special day.

“After the wedding is where the magic happens, my editing takes a grand total of around 30 hours from scratch to finish,” Sigmon said. “It takes so long to edit because you have every single moment from this super special day, and I do try to make every video as unique as possible by telling each couple’s story true to them.”

What sets Sigmon’s films apart from several other wedding and elopement videographers is her ability to capture meaningful audio and incorporate it into her videos.

“I really take pride in the sounds I get,” Sigmon said. “If I get sounds from their vows or letters to each other or speeches, I make sure that I put those things in the video because at the end of the day, that’s what makes each video unique and intentional to the couple.”

Sigmon does her best to make sure the bride feels comfortable on her special day.

At the wedding, Sigmon strives to be more than a videographer by not only creating a lifelong keepsake but also helping make the day flow according to plan. 

“I always tell the bride I am there to be her go-to person throughout the process, which is true,” Sigmon said. “If they need anything at all, I am there to get it for them. If they need help buttoning up the dress or fixing hair or makeup, I truly want to be that person for them.”

Her production days are long and tedious, as she arrives to film the bride and groom getting ready and captures every moment until their final departure together. For small weddings and elopements, her filming days can last anywhere from six to eight hours and, for large weddings, 10 to 12. 

Sigmon’s films capture the essence of beauty and love that is present on the wedding day and gives the couples the opportunity to experience their special day over and over again.

“For my couples, I just want them to have the video to relive forever,” Sigmon said. “They will be able to look back on it and think, ‘This is exactly what I was feeling and what I said’…Through their film, they get to experience those feelings they felt walking into marriage.”

Connect with Sydney Sigmon Film or see her content by visiting her website or her Instagram.

Jessi Green is the Asst. Feature Editor. Follow her on Twitter at @jessigreen0.