Mansion With A View: The History Behind Liberty’s Historic Lodge
The Montview Mansion has stood on the hill next to the Hancock Welcome Center since 1923, making it the oldest building on campus, and it is even on the National Register of Historic Places.
A wealthy man named Carter Glass (1858-1946) oversaw the construction of the mansion while he served as a U.S. senator. He would leave the Montview Mansion on Monday morning, catch the train at the bottom of the hill, ride it to work in Washington D.C. and then take it back home on the weekends. Glass is most known for his architectural work on the Federal Reserve System, much of which he accomplished while working in his office at Montview.
Additionally, Glass took pride in his prized dairy cattle on the property and was in constant competition with Meadowview Dairy Farm, which belonged to C.W. Falwell, the grandfather of Jerry Falwell Sr. Dr. Falwell grew up with memories of Montview Mansion and the land surrounding it, not knowing what lay ahead for him on that very mountain in the future.
After Liberty purchased Montview in 1977, the mansion was used as an office for Dr. Falwell and his staff until his death in 2007. The mansion was then used to accommodate guests starting in 2008. In 2017, Liberty renovated the home, restoring it to its original appearance in the 1920s, while also updating the home
Dr. Falwell and his wife Macel are buried on the property in the front yard, and their graves are marked by an eternal flame and cross. The mansion is currently closed to the public, but the grounds are available for touring. For more information on tours, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kristen Pace is a Feature Reporter.