The Tea With Bailey: I Don’t Want To Be A “Good” American Christian

A few weeks ago, I read an article that stopped me in my tracks. Whenever I’ve read an article or book about World War II, the stories have detailed the Germans that believed whole-heartedly in Adolf Hitler’s mission and the Germans that blatantly went against everything Hitler was about. 

The “bad” Germans eagerly saluted Hitler, fought in his army and eagerly reported their neighbors and friends who happened to go against the Fuhrer. The “hero” Germans risked their very lives in order to defy Hitler by protecting and harboring the Jews that his regime was routinely slaughtering.

A group I hadn’t read about, or even considered until reading this article, were the “good” Germans. Who were the good Germans?

They certainly didn’t support Hitler, but they didn’t try to stop him either. They were the average German citizen. They minded their p’s and q’s and did what they had to do to survive. They were lukewarm and looked away from the injustice happening on their doorsteps. They did what they could to keep their lives as normal as possible and to refrain from making the wrong people angry.

While we haven’t reached Nazi Germany status in America, this still begs the question, what does it mean to be a “good” American? 

The good American doesn’t speak out for truth because they are afraid of being canceled or losing relationships with family and friends. They may believe that abortion is a horrific genocide, but they stay silent when the topic is brought up in conversation.

They stay away from speaking their mind on their social media platforms because they’re afraid of a screenshot being sent to their university or their place of work. They’re so afraid of losing their jobs, their friends and their followers that they silence themselves.

They don’t say they’re a Christian when someone at work is bashing on Christianity. They nod their heads and smile when it is expedient so that they can continue to be seen as a good person by others. They are forgetting something very important, however.

As Christians, we were not created to be silent. We were actually created to be the exact opposite. We were put on this earth for a purpose, and I believe part of that purpose is to reveal truth and to point others to Christ.

If we know something to be true, why would we shy away from it? 

We were not created to live in perfect comfort. It is not realistic to think that being quiet and staying away from what some may perceive as volatile topics in politics and religion will guarantee our comfort and continued safety. 

This world is not our home. While we are here, we are meant to be world shakers that strive to be God’s hands and feet. We are to fight for those who don’t have a voice and proclaim truth to the ends of the earth – no matter the personal cost.

I don’t fear what cancel culture, government, or any man can do to me. The Bible says in Psalm 118:5-6, “The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?” We have all of eternity to live in perfect peace with our Lord and Savior. While we’re on this earth for this incredibly short amount of time, we shouldn’t be content to just be “good.” 

We should want to shake up a world that is in need of people who will speak the truth in love and not be afraid to stand up for what they believe in.

Jesus showed us this when he told his disciples in Matthew 10:34, “Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.” We can assume that he was speaking of the Word of God when he referred to the sword, as Hebrews 4:12 says, “The Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword…” 

As Americans and Christians, we have a responsibility to speak up against injustices that we see in this nation that grieve the heart of God. We are set free because of our Savior, and we should desire to show and preserve that freedom for others.

I don’t want to be a good American or good Christian, sitting on the sidelines and staying silent on things that should matter to us because they matter to God. I want to be what God created me to be – loud, bold and proclaiming truth to all who I encounter. 

We were given this gift of life and the gift of the Bible – our two-edged sword – for a reason. Not to live a life of comfort, but to live the uncomfortable – but beautiful – life that we were called to live.

Bailey Duran is the Opinion Editor. Follow her on Twitter at @duran_bailey.