Fall 2020 Graduation Ceremonies Will Look Different Seniors

As usual, there will be no ceremony for Liberty University students finishing their degrees in December. Those finishing classes in just a couple of weeks will have the opportunity to walk with the class of 2021 at Commencement on May 15, 2021, but now more people will join them in crossing the stage: December 2019 and May 2020 graduates.

The mass graduation is the result of the canceled 2020 Commencement. The 2020 Commencement was postponed until Sept. 11 because of COVID-19 regulations but was ultimately canceled as virus cases began to rise. Now, those graduates and their families are invited to celebrate with the class of 2021.

December graduates who stay and begin their careers in the Lynchburg area, usually attend the graduation celebrations. However, graduates who move from Lynchburg and into new cities to start their post-graduate jobs, making them have to take time off from their job and schedule arrangements to return to Lynchburg. 

“It’s honestly quite sad and frustrating,” alumna Stephanie Davidson said, “because you worked your butt off but you get no recognition. … I was working in my nursing profession already (when time came to graduate).”

Other students said they face familial pressure to return. Graduations are an opportunity for family members to get together and celebrate the accomplishment of the future alumnus, but for Dara Yee, the hassle almost is not worth the gain.

“I’m really torn,” Yee said. “I don’t really want to walk in May because of how hectic the ceremony will be, but I feel like I have familial pressure on me to walk. My grandpa isn’t super healthy, so my mom wants him to see me walk in May, but I am so torn.”

Queenstar Banini, a Digital Media: Performance student, holds her education so highly because her own grandmother cannot write. Banini’s father, a first-generation college graduate, taught her to value and pursue education to create a better life.

She said that ceremonies have always marked the milestones in her life, and she would do anything to make it back to Lynchburg in May – even though she plans to start her career elsewhere.

“I think we should have a celebration each semester. … People need to be celebrated in the same way as those walking in May. I think it’s worth it because it’s a celebration of hard work and perseverance. It’s worth whatever transportation is needed to celebrate it.”

Some students finishing before winter break have no problem with waiting the few months because they will join friends in the ceremony.

“I’m graduating in December, but most of my friends will not be done until May, so I’m glad I’ll get to experience that with them,” graphic design student Brianna Janey said.

Some students point out that having a December Commencement would decrease the amount of foot traffic in Lynchburg in May, when both Liberty and University of Lynchburg have graduations. Others claim that the excitement fades between December and May.

The merged Commencement is scheduled for May 15, 2021. Officials ask people to consider booking hotel rooms early, as Lynchburg will be hopping when the time comes.  

“School is hard, and anyone who graduates deserves applause and recognition,” clinical mental health counseling student Sierra Klotz said. “I’m okay with there not being a December ceremony, but it doesn’t really make sense to me.”’

Victoria Nelson is a Copy Editor. Follow her on Twitter at @victoriafnelson.