Opinion: We Must be Praying For Our Leaders When They Fall

There’s a specific worship song I’ve found myself listening to lately: “His Mercy is More,” sung by Matt Boswell and Matt Papa. This song always takes me back to the truth of the gospel, and reminds me of what my soul so desperately needs when it is plagued by guilt: God’s mercy triumphs over judgment. 

“Stronger than darkness, new every morn. My sins they are many, his mercy is more.” 

If I could imprint those lyrics on my heart, engrave them like one would on stone, I would never have reason to doubt Jesus’ mercy and grace toward me. Isn’t this why the gospel is Good News? Because we know that, through Jesus, we stand under the umbrella of mercy held by a God that is completely holy and incredibly just. 

Why is it, then, that we love the message of mercy and grace when preached to us, but struggle to apply this same message in response to another’s sins and shortcomings? 

By now, everything that has happened at Liberty University in regards to leadership is a secret to no one. It seems like every major news outlet nationwide has covered this story. Of course, it’s classic human behavior. We love it when others fail. It makes us feel better about our own failures and hidden sins.

Don’t get me wrong, I applaud truth when it serves the purpose of extinguishing evil, and I applaud the brave and difficult decisions made by Liberty University to respond to sin at the brink of a new semester. I do not, however, applaud those who continue to rejoice over the fall of an individual. As Christians, this kind of thinking and response to sin is simply unacceptable. David Nasser said it well: we must always respond in grace.

We know God’s Word is clear: you reap what you sow. Even though there can be forgiveness through Jesus, there is still accountability for sin on earth. This is not something we have made up in self-righteousness, but rather a standard set by God. It is clear in Scripture that those who are part of the church, and furthermore, those in Christian leadership, need accountability. Like Nasser shared during the first Campus Community, it’s okay to call sin, sin. But, after sin has been brought to light and discipline has been applied, how does Jesus call us to extend his grace?

1. Pray for them. 

Jesus is the perfect example of an individual that prayed for all, even those who failed him. On the cross, Jesus prayed for the very people who nailed him there. When our leaders fall, it is only human to experience feelings of deep pain, and at times, betrayal. Regardless, we are called to follow the example of Christ, who prayed not only for those who came to him but for those who persecuted him. When someone we look up to does not act in a manner worthy of the gospel, instead of turning to gossip, let us turn to a conversation with our Heavenly Father, presenting the individual, their heart, their life and their family to him in prayer, lest we forget Christ is constantly interceding for us, too. 

2. Forgive them. 

As followers of Christ, forgiveness is always the answer, although oftentimes we wish it weren’t. We grow bitter toward those who do us wrong, and we even come to believe it is not necessary to forgive them. After all, shouldn’t they apologize first? In the Bible, God doesn’t say, “forgive when you are asked for forgiveness,” but rather, “forgive as I have forgiven you.” The act of forgiveness is one of those things that makes us more and more like our savior, because he has eternally forgiven us. 

3. Show mercy. 

The first few verses found in the sixth chapter of Galatians are pivotal to our role in responding to those who have sinned. Not only does this passage address the actions Christians should take toward others who have sinned, but the actions they should take toward their own sin, too. In these first six verses, believers are called to “restore gently” and “carry the burdens” of those who have committed any kind of transgression. This, the passage explains, is the way in which we fulfill the law of Christ. 

The law of Christ is mercy, grace and forgiveness. When we show mercy to those who have fallen, when we help them in their struggle, we are reminding them of the amazing grace Jesus offers. An article published by Charisma Magazine said it well: showing this kind of gentleness does not mean the leader is not removed or does not have to face consequences. Instead, it means that even when they do, we do not respond in a harsh or vindictive way. It is recognizing that if it were not for God’s grace, we too might have found ourselves in a
similar predicament. 

And as I sit here, finishing this piece, the lyrics to that worship song again ring loud and clear. We all deserve judgment, we all deserve death, but praise the Lord, his mercy is more.

Rosa Elias is a Social Media Manager. Follow her on Twitter @rosaeliasnajri.