Students find a way to express themselves through their sneakers

Nike, Air Force 1, or Jordan’s – each type of sneaker has a way of showing off the personality and style of “sneakerheads,” the most enthusiastic sneaker wearers.

Whether it’s plain, white sneakers or big chunky ones, each sneaker is different and reflects the personality of its owner. Liberty student, Benjamin Cordova prides himself in his sneakers.

“Sneakers give my style a more classic and street-style look,” Cordova said. “My personality is more laid back and chill, and I find that sneakers reflect that with a creative spin.” 

But getting the right pair of sneakers isn’t as easy as simply going to a store and picking up a pair. Although some people criticize those who spend big amounts of money on sneakers, most agree that even though getting expensive pairs can be linked to status, the sneaker culture goes much further than that. A comfort factor usually guarantees an increase in price, though most sneakerheads agree that cheap alternatives can offer comfort, in sacrifice of style. 

“People question how people can spend so much money on sneakers,” student Sebastián Bernaschina said. “But they fail to realize that many of these coveted sneakers maintain their value and even go up. Exclusivity comes at a price.” 

Some guys don’t just pick sneakers randomly. They evaluate the trends, examine the market and weigh whether some sneakers are worth the price. They look to social media to keep up with the newest designs, and they often follow different sneaker stores that sell these at retail prices. 

“Because the sneaker trend is growing exponentially, there is a wide variety of stores online.” Julio López, a business major, said. “Usually, I use apps like Goat or StockX if I’m looking for more exclusive shoes. Social media and artists keep me updated with new sneakers.” 

Given the range of brands and options, these students all came to the conclusion that the kind of sneaker someone buys is usually a reflection of their style. 

“I like extravagant sneakers,” Liberty freshman Gabriel Matsumoto said. “Bright colors. Just different, anything different. I like sneakers that pop and make outfits look way cooler.”

López even said that there is a certain feeling of community when it comes to the sneaker world. Because many guys have become so passionate about them, they often feel a sense of belonging when they find others that enjoy the same kind of sneaker style that they do. 

“There is a big culture unified by the world of sneakers,” López said. “Now you can even make friends by being passionate about shoes. In my personal experience I have made friends because of the sneakers I wear.” 

Elias is a feature writer. Follow her on Twitter.