Liberty student surprised by dad returning from deployment during basketball game

When Liberty freshman Kaylee Kistler went to the basketball game Saturday night, getting to hug her dad for the first time since July was not on her radar. She went with friends to watch the Flames compete against Florida Gulf Coast University and was selected from the crowd to play an interactive game on the court during a timeout, as her dad prepared to give her a surprise she would never forget. 

“I expected absolutely nothing,” Kistler said. 

As she spun around for the game, her dad, in military uniform, walked out to meet her on the basketball court. At first, she was so disoriented, she did not even realize it was him. Her disbelief turned to joy as she ran to hug him. 

“When I did see him, I was so surprised,” Kistler said. “It was probably the best surprise of my life so far. … As soon as we hugged, I just started crying … it was just great to be reunited that way.”

Kaylee Kistler’s family planned the surprise for months to make her dad’s return from deployment such a memorable moment. She said she is grateful Liberty let them have this opportunity to reunite with her dad in this special way. 

Master Sgt. Kevin Kistler left in July 2019 to serve at Ramstein Air Force Base in Germany, where he provided logistical support for forces in Africa for his longest deployment to date. The months apart felt like forever, but Kaylee Kistler was proud of him for going, she said. One of the hardest aspects of her dad’s deployment was not having him drop her off for her freshman year at Liberty, she said. 

Kevin Kistler has served for 26 years in the U.S. Air Force. 

“I am just grateful for families and other dads and moms (who) are serving,” Kaylee Kistler said.

Wood is the editor-in-chief. Follow her on Twitter.