Male fashion students find success in a female-dominated field

For Noah Snively, a senior studying fashion merchandising and business at Liberty University, most young men at college don’t relate to his typical day of classes.

Originally a strategic intelligence major, the New Jersey native realized pursuing an area of study he cared about was more important than getting a degree that “sounded right.”

“I’ve always been into rap and hip-hop music, and (the hip-hop artists today) are very into fashion,” Snively said. “My parents told me to pursue something I was passionate about, so I decided to go for it.”

Most of his classes have an approximate 1-to-4 ratio of male to female students, and Snively said he was the only man in a couple of his classes during various semesters.

“It was definitely a big adjustment at first, but I am thankful for it,” Snively said. “I’m so glad I’ve worked with female students and gained experience of what the fashion industry will be like in the real world.”

Compared to his female classmates, Snively feels he offers more perspective for what men want when buying clothing. 

“Shopping with guys is a really different process than shopping with girls,” Snively said. “Knowing what men are looking for definitely puts me at an advantage for working in men’s wear.”

Snively is currently finishing his degree while also serving in his first leadership role for a Liberty event as the assistant director for Liberty’s annual fashion show, which will be held March 28 at 8 p.m. in the Center for Music and Worship Arts.

His responsibilities have included offering ideas about various fashion sessions, reaching out to sponsors, working with designers and doing any behind-the-scenes work that needs to be done.

Maryland native Jonathan Huey echoes Snively’s belief that men can be successful in the fashion industry. 

Huey began his journey at Liberty University as a graphic design major, but his interest in fashion led him to add a minor focusing on fashion. 

“When I was in fifth grade, I discovered J.Crew, and I was obsessed,” Huey said. “I’ve always known I wanted to do something creative, and the fashion industry has been something that has really interested me from the beginning.”

Photo Provided 
BRAINSTORM — Huey’s sketches show a new fashion project. 

Huey also agreed that he is typically the only male or one of a handful of male students in his classes, but this has never appeared as a challenge or setback for him. 

“I honestly just feel everyone brings unique perspectives and different strengths to the classes,” Huey said.

Huey said he initially did not pursue fashion because he thought it wasn’t a practical career path. However, like Snively, he realized pursuing something he loved was more important than pursuing something that made perfect sense. 

“Even if something is not necessarily practical, if you have a passion for it, God will find a way to use it,” Huey said. “I would love to bring the light of Jesus to (the fashion industry) and show people his love through my work and life.”

Huey is now a strategic communications major with a focus in social media management and minors in graphic design and clothing and textiles. After graduation, Huey plans to move to New York City to work in marketing and advertising in the fashion industry, and dreams of working at Vogue one day. 

Kazmucha is a feature writer. Follow her on Twitter.

3 comments

• Excellent article on the Male perspective that is normally female. It establishes that you should follow your dreams and success will follow. God will shine his light through your work.
    Good job Madilyn.

• Good article. So impressed & encouraged by the desire to bring the light of Jesus into the fashion industry.

• Good article..sangat membuat inspirasi. thank you