Column: Adventures with Abby – playing outside has many benefits

Once upon a time, a secret kingdom hid just inside the woods at my home in Pennsylvania. 

An outside observer would have just seen a cluster of oddly-shaped trees, but my siblings and I glimpsed something much grander.

One tree, which split into three trunks barely inches from the ground, formed an excellent and inexplicably magical place for a child to sit. That was our fort. 

Two thorn bushes, bowing toward each other at the very edge of the woods, guarded the entrance to the realm. To enter, we had to speak the password – a mashup of Latin mottos – and execute a series of hand gestures so complicated that they would have made Dr. Strange proud. 

It was our own Narnia, and as with the Pevensie siblings, growing up denied us access. This is only one of many examples of the adventures I, my siblings and our friends found outdoors. 

The older I became, the less I ventured outside. At most I would take a walk to fetch the mail or a homework break to throw a tennis ball for my dog. 

Then technology developed and proliferated. Today, few children or adults spend much quality time outdoors, despite the fact that outside play benefits the whole person – body, mind and soul. 

According to an article on WebMD, getting outside helps improve sleep, a huge benefit for college students plagued by restless sleep due to stress or the constant bombarding of blue light. 

The article also says that the outdoors provides opportunities for a wealth of free and varied exercise. 

Although I have access to the gym as a residential Liberty student, I much prefer to exercise outdoors. Clear evenings frequently find me taking a vigorous walk around campus, a practice that not only provides my body with exercise but also calms my busy mind. 

The WebMD article says that spending time outdoors has been shown to help lessen anxiety. Exercising outside lessens anxiety more than exercising indoors.  

In addition to getting exercise and warding off anxiety, I have had some of my best conversations on walks. I have found myself much closer to friends I have hiked, canoed or swum with. One of my best friends and I have spent many hours over the last three and a half years walking around campus for exercise, conversation and friendship. I am convinced that without these walks our friendship would not be where it is today.

Beyond health and companionship, spending time outdoors also promotes spiritual growth. 

“The heavens declare the glory of God,” Psalm 119:1 declares. “And the sky above proclaims his handiwork.” Romans 1 says explicitly that God reveals himself through his creation. 

Nature displays God’s creativity and power in every twig and every mountain, riveting an observant believer on the splendor of their Father. 

There is something about standing at the edge of the ocean at night while the moon’s reflection ripples in the waves at my feet that reminds me of the raw power of the Lord. 

There is something about the little songbirds that flit over my head in the summer and the chipmunks that scurry around my feet that remind me of his love. 

For these and so many other reasons I am so glad my parents encouraged me to develop the habit of going outside. Though I may no longer whisper a password to thorn bushes as I enter the woods, the outdoors hasn’t lost any of its wonder. 

Bowman is the opinion editor. Keep up with her on Twitter.

• How can Liberty U call itself aChristian school and not care for ALL children, no matter where they live or the color of their skin? What would Jesus do, leave them to die at the border? One last thing. If we can’t get along here how in hell will we get along in heaven? It’s absolutely amazing what we believe in!