LUCOM professor awarded second Fulbright grant, to teach in Moldova

Dr. Andrew Behnke, an assistant professor of Internal Medicine in the Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine, is a recent recipient of his second Fulbright Grant, a prestigious award given in limited number each year.

The grant Behnke received is called a FLEX grant, and will allow him to go to Moldova in several 4-5 week segments over the next few years.  Behnke is a part of the scholars’ program, and he thinks this is an amazing opportunity to help further medical education in Moldova. During his time overseas, he will be developing an education program to teach Endocrinology at a medical school, Behnke said.

“It’s going to allow me to go over there and allow me to teach and to develop a program of training and education (in the medical field) … so it’s a great opportunity for me to use my gifts to try to help make the world a better place,” Behnke said.

When applying to the Fulbright program, Behnke’s first choice was actually North Macedonia, not Moldova. However, when his application was not accepted for the Macedonia program, Behnke realized God had other plans in mind.

“It’s actually a God thing,” Behnke said. “I actually applied to go to a different country, I applied to go to (North) Macedonia and they did not accept the application for various reasons. (My application) was passed around to other countries and when Moldova saw that I was available they rapidly picked up on it.” 

Behnke said God called him back to Moldova to do the work he began over a decade ago. Even though it was not his first choice, he is grateful to return. 

Behnke said the first thing he wanted to do when he arrived was to reconnect with old friends. 

“I really want to see my old friend,” Behnke said. “I used to live there with my family and we sort of kept up with them and what’s going, and (I want to) go back to see them and their children. It’s just going to be great to reconnect with those people that have kept in touch with us.”

What makes the Fulbright program so unique is that it not only aids professionals, but students as well. Dr. Edna Udobong, the Fulbright program advisor for Liberty, sees this as a great opportunity for students when looking forward in their career.

The Fulbright program allows students and faculty the ability to go overseas and teach, conduct research or study. The program is very rigorous and competitive, and receiving a grant is a high honor. Udobong said that the program includes a program for students and one for professionals. 

“(The program) helps them to enhance their profile for employment and it helps them to be much more focused and accomplished in their career,” Udobong said. “So, it’s a good one year overseas where they have time to think through what they want to do for the future.”

Ultimately, Udobong wants students to recognize through the process that what you bring should have the goal of impacting the community at large instead of just reaching a goal. 

According to Udobong, Liberty has about 10-13 applications submitted each year. She hopes the grant recipients will use the platform to spread the Gospel to other countries. 

“One thing that makes me so passionate about the Fulbright program is it offers the opportunity to get a mission out. I see that as my Matthew 28:19-20, the Great Commission,” Udobong said.