Deciding the District 23 delegate– Candidates Walker, Zilles campaign to represent Liberty, Lynchburg in Richmond

Editor’s Note

Wendell Walker and David Zilles are running to represent Virginia’s 23rd district in the House of Delegates. District 23 consists of parts of Lynchburg, including Liberty University. 

Del. Scott Garrett currently holds the District 23 seat in the House of Delegates and has for the past 10 years. Garrett decided not to seek reelection to devote more time to his family, according to his website. 

One hundred representatives make up the Virginia House of Delegates, with a Republican majority of 51 delegates. The House of Delegates is considered a citizen legislature, so the elected officials serve only a portion of the year in Richmond, spending the rest of their term in the
district. 

We sent both candidates questions earlier this month to allow them to express to Liberty students their background and how they would represent Liberty’s district. Walker is the Republican candidate and Zilles is the Democratic candidate. We listed the candidates in order by their
last name.

State and local elections matter. Exercise your right to vote for who will represent you during your college years as a Liberty student or Lynchburg resident. Liberty students registered to vote in Liberty’s precinct can vote in the Vines Center on Tuesday, Nov. 5, with an eligible form of ID.

Vote away, 

Emily Wood, News Editor 

Wendell Walker

Photo Provided
ELECTION— Wendell Walker is campaigning to represent District 23 as a delegate.

What do you seek to improve in the Lynchburg community and the commonwealth of Virginia?

I would seek stronger working relationships and communication between Lynchburg and the commonwealth of Virginia, in terms of funding for education, public safety, our infrastructure, etc. I will work to reduce state unfunded mandates on localities. Third, I believe it is important to ensure that small businesses can continue to operate with less state regulations, so more people can be employed locally. Finally, we need to ensure that education both at the general and university level is accessible and affordable. 

Why should Liberty students make an effort to vote in local elections?

We, as voters, have the ability to change the direction of our state and nation by making our voices count.  One’s college years are the perfect time to begin a lifelong habit of voting in every election, from local to statewide to federal. The reasons are many, one of which is the fact that by sheer numbers, Liberty students have the capability to have significant impact on an election. It’s important to become engaged, involved, educated about the candidates and their values, and then to vote your values. The opportunity to have your voice count is a precious right that no one should bypass. More than one election has literally been decided by a difference of only one vote. 

Why did you decide to become involved in the political arena?

I became tired and disappointed in elected officials continuing to vote against the Christian values I learned and have practiced all my life, many that I learned at LU and under the leadership of Dr. Falwell. I became involved in politics in the 1990s when Dr. Falwell encouraged me to seek leadership roles in our Lynchburg Republican Party. For over 25 years, I have served on the local and state party leadership levels. Finally, after the decision of our local Delegate Scott Garrett to retire from the 23rd  House District seat, I felt it was time for me to serve the people of our great Commonwealth.

What makes the Lynchburg area a great place to live?

Lynchburg is special because there’s something here for everyone! It’s a wonderful place to grow up, develop lifelong memories and friendships, raise a family, start a business or a career, you name it. Liberty University has had a major impact in a positive way with its outreach through community service and giving back to Lynchburg. One aspect that Lynchburg is known for is the wide variety of churches, places of worship. People are free to worship, fellowship and make a positive impact in the community because of their faith and willingness to serve.

About Wendell Walker: 

Born and raised in Georgia, Wendell Walker came to what was then Liberty Baptist College in 1975. As a student, he spent some of his years with Dr. Falwell and many other students, travelling and spreading a message of patriotism woven with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. After graduating from college, he became involved with the Lynchburg Republican City Committee in the 1990s and has since served the Republican Party at various levels of leadership, recruiting and campaigning for conservative Republican candidates at all levels, from local to state to federal elections. For the last 21 years, Wendell has worked for the Virginia Department of Labor and Industry as a Registered Apprenticeship Consultant helping shape Virginia’s future workforce. 

David Zilles

Photo Provided
CANDIDATE — David Zilles seeks to represent District 23 in the House of Delegates.

We need access to affordable healthcare, increased funding for our K-12 public schools, better pay for teachers, and sensible gun reform measures such as universal background checks and Red Flag laws to reduce gun violence. If elected, I would support addressing these issues to improve the Lynchburg community and the commonwealth of Virginia.

It is important for young people to get engaged in the political process to shape our future. We have seen politicians fail to fulfill the promise of student loan forgiveness, earned through service in high-need fields. Whether a student chooses to vote here or to vote absentee at home is their choice.

I got involved in politics last year by volunteering with Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense, canvassing for candidates running in the midterm elections. I’m a strong supporter of our 2nd amendment right but I and the majority of Virginians also realize we need to address issues with gun violence by passing constitutional and sensible gun reform measures. This issue concerns me very much when thinking about the safety of my children.

In the last eight years, I’ve experienced a real atmosphere of hospitality and caring community. Lynchburg is very family-oriented, and I’ve really appreciated that for raising my two children. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting many people in Lynchburg and they’ve told me our city needs more attention from the state and people who will represent them in Richmond. I’m ready to represent Lynchburg through my service in Richmond.  

About  David Zilles: 

I live in Lynchburg, in the 23rd district of Virginia, where I’m raising two young children and working as an engineer at BWXT. I grew up in a tight-knit family in the small town of Bellevue, Ohio where my three siblings and I were surrounded by a large extended family. After graduating from The Ohio State University with Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Aerospace Engineering, I began my career and in 2012 moved to Lynchburg.