Liberty cross-country junior leads the team by example

junior cross-country runner is changing the game at Liberty with her quick times, determined work ethic, team-oriented mindset and servant leadership. Noel Palmer is entering her junior year on the women’s cross-country team as a captain after a record-breaking sophomore season.

Due to her emphasis on serving and mentoring her team, Palmer was voted captain in her first season as an upperclassman. However, the junior expressed that leadership is not her natural talent. Throughout her years at Liberty, Palmer had had to learn how to best step into that role of team leader. 

“I’m not really a natural leader at all,” Palmer said. “I prefer to kind of quietly do stuff and not say a whole lot, but God has really been working on me as I become a leader. I’ve really enjoyed mentoring the younger athletes…. It’s really put me out of my comfort zone, but it’s stretched me in a good way.”

Rachel Johnson has already observed her growth over the first several weeks of the season. 

“(Palmer) came to Liberty with the goal of wanting the team to get better and wanting to lead the team into a new era where we’re making it onto a national level,” Johnson said. “She really has a team mindset with things. She has definitely been somebody who is a leader on the team, somebody who has led our team to what it is now.”

Her devoted work ethic drove an impressive sophomore season last year, breaking the school record for the 10-kilometer and making the All-Region honoree list. Palmer wants to build on that success from last season and said she wants to bring glory to God and serve her team above all else. 

K.J. Jugar | Liberty Photography
TOP-10 — Palmer currently holds the school record for the 10K race with a time of 33:56.67.

“I can really see how God has changed me to focus more on serving other people and just seeking to be the best I can be for him,” Palmer said. “I’ve come to realize what it means to run for his glory and compete for him.”

With a young team this year, Palmer has the opportunity to continue her devotion to mentorship and service as she strives to compete successfully this fall season. Johnson has high expectations for the junior and the team this year but is confident that this season will be a success. 

“(Palmer) has a lot to give athletically,” Johnson said. “I’m excited to see where she goes with that this year – Noel is one of the older ones on the team, so she’s definitely stepping into a leadership role.”

As the cross-country season begins, Palmer continues to be focused on her team, learning more from her teammates about how to be a better runner, and more importantly, how to be a leader who follows God and displays Christ-like service. 

“I’ve just learned a lot from my teammates,” Palmer said. “There’s a lot of girls on the team who have really strong faith, and they’ve encouraged me. I’ve learned a lot about seeking the Lord. It’s been a really great experience.”