Column: Reels with Ryan, Five movies to watch over the summer

With the final edition of this column, I wanted to highlight five movies coming out this summer I personally cannot wait to see. 

“Toy Story 4”

When the original “Toy Story” came out in 1995, it was seen as a grand experiment of filmmaking, as it was the very first feature to be fully computer-animated. 

Close to 25 years later, “Toy Story 4” is re-opening the toy chest and bringing back our favorite cowboy and spaceman. 

If you’re anything like me, you were terrified of Sid and Emperor Zurg, bawled your eyes out at Jessie in the cardboard box and the toys in the incinerator, and laughed at every bit of slapstick comedy. 

In a world of constant remakes and reboots, I think this one has the most potential for nostalgia and heartfelt moments, and I cannot wait to see where they take the toys we grew up with.

“Yesterday”

I’m someone who loves when movies and pop music can work together well, and this film seems to be a perfect example of that. 

When a man finds himself in a world that has somehow not heard of The Beatles, he decides to pass off the band’s greatest songs as his own. I think with such an inventive story and popular subject matter, this film has the potential to become something great. Originality, a good cast and some of the best songs ever written all combine to create a film with high expectations set for itself, and I have a feeling that it is going to pay off in
a major way. 

“Men in Black: International”

Less of a remake and more of a reboot, this film brings together two actors, Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson, who have showcased their skills in blending action with comedy in 2017’s “Thor: Ragnarok,” and this film looks poised to continue what Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones introduced us to in the 1997’s
original film. 

I’m not sure how long Hemsworth and Thompson have jobs in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so this film can put them in a position to start a new chapter in their careers if  or when they are
done with Marvel. 

Originally, this project was planned to be a crossover with the “21 Jump Street” franchise, but I’m excited nonetheless.

“Spider-Man: Far from Home”

Even after the events of “Avengers: Endgame,” the Marvel Cinematic Universe still has plenty more stories to tell. 

I consider virtually every movie to be a must-see, and this one is no different. This will be Tom Holland’s fourth outing as Spider-Man, making him the actor to play the web-slinger on more occasions than anyone else. 

As the first movie to follow the groundbreaking events of “Endgame,” this film will hopefully lead us into the next entertaining phase of the franchise and set a course for yet another thrilling adventure. 

“The Lion King”

The 1993 “The Lion King” will stand as one of the finest films of the Disney Renaissance, but, as is the case with almost every other Disney property, it is getting a remake with modern special effects. 

The “live-action” film is expected to feature photo-realistic CGI technology that parallels the “Jungle Book” remake that came before it, and the all-star cast providing the voices is almost guaranteed to make this film a surefire smash at the box office. Elton John and Tim Rice, who wrote the Oscar-winning music for the original, are reportedly adding a couple new songs this time around, and I can’t wait to hear what they bring to the theater.