Flames dominate Stony Brook in second game of series

Cold air not only filled the rink Saturday night, but the air too.  Friday night’s game ended in a win for the Flames 3-1, and the team was ready for its second game against Stony Brook University.

The Flames gave their all the entire 60 minutes of play Saturday, seeing improvement across many aspects of their play. The score against Stony Brook in the second game would gain another win for the Flames, 8-1. 

“I really liked our discipline, and we saw the focus of playing a complete game tonight,” Coach Kirk Handy said.  “We have a lot of guys who are banged up and others who played different positions tonight, and they still gave their best.”

In the first period of play, Cole Gammer scored the first goal for the Flames with 15:40 left to go, assisted by Quinn Ryan and Jacob Fricks.  The Flames would stop a few shots, but with 10:01 remaining in the first, the Stony Brook Seawolves scored their first goal of the game.

Shortly after, Brock Thompson scored a power play goal, assisted by Quinn Ryan and Cole Gammer. Chaydan Lauber would set the perfect screen for Jacob Fricks, and Fricks scored a shot straight down the center of the ice and it went right between the legs of the goalie.  Flames fans went crazy in response.  

“We came back prepared, and since we knew what to expect, we were able to play more cohesively,” Fricks said. 

Josh Hamilton scored a goal with 3:36 left in the first, and this brought the score to 4-1 for Liberty.

When the second period started, the Flames had two people in the penalty box, so the game was now three against five. The energy from the fans exploded and it was seen on the ice.  Gammer would score a power play goal with 2:37 remaining, and it was shot on the top shelf of the goal.  With 46.3 seconds of play in the second, Gammer scored his third goal of the night, and they ended the third 6-1 for the Flames. 

“In the past week, we have been more disciplined as a team, and our penalty kill was 100 percent so we just gotta keep doing what we’re doing,” Fricks said.

Tensions were high entering the third period, and Chaydan Lauber scored with 13:17 remaining, his goal was assisted by Brock Thompson and Quinn Ryan. After more penalties were handed out, Gammer scored his fourth goal of the night with 1:33 of play left in the third.

Liberty would beat the Stony Brook Seawolves 8-1 in the second of this two-game series.  

“We saw guys put into practice what they learned from the losses, and that was real exciting to see,” Handy said. “The last two games were a big thing for us, and so the growth is there.”

Liberty will play Ohio University Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. in the LaHaye Ice Center. The game will be the team’s annual military appreciation game.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *