Flames defense leads the way to home opener victory over Maine Fort Kent

A common saying in sports is that defense wins championships. If that is the case, the Liberty men’s basketball team has reason to be excited for the 2018-19 season. 

The Flames rode a dominating defensive effort to defeat the Maine Fort Kent Bengals, 89-40 at the Vines Center on Thursday night. Liberty surrendered only 19 second half points to the Bengals and earned their first win as a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference. The Flames’ defense was reminiscent of their defense that was ranked ninth in the nation in scoring defense last year.

Head Coach Ritchie McKay was pleased with his team’s attention to detail on the defensive end in the second half. 

“I thought we looked a lot like we had practiced and a little bit like we had played in the second half,” McKay said. “(I’m) pleased with that for sure.” 

Liberty’s first points of the night came from a 3-pointer by senior guard Lovell Cabbil Jr. from the left corner. When Cabbil hit the shot, he cemented himself in Flames history. He became the 26th player at
Liberty University to score 1,000 points. He later finished the night with 17 points.

“I think it’s an honor” Cabbil said when asked what reaching this milestone meant to him. “Nobody thought I could play at this level. They said I was too small in high school. … I would say it’s an honor to be remembered in a category like that.” Liberty struggled in the first half to establish an offensive rhythm, as Maine Fort Kent mixed up their defensive schemes between man, 2-3 zone and full court presses. The Flames turned the ball over 10 times in the first half, but they were able to stymie a Bengals offense that relied heavily on isolation plays. Liberty held a 29-21 advantage at the half.

Senior Keenan Gumbs ignites the crowd. | Kevin Manguiob

After making some adjustments in the locker room, Liberty immediately began to impose their will on both ends of the floor, generating an extended 24-6 run in the first nine minutes of the second half. In addition to Cabbil’s offensive output, junior forward Scottie James contributed a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds.  

After making some adjustments in the locker room, Liberty immediately began to impose their will on both ends of the floor, generating an extended 24-6 run in the first nine minutes of the second half. In addition to Cabbil’s offensive output, junior forward Scottie James contributed a double-double with 11 point and 11 rebounds.  

McKay praised James for his stellar effort and noted that this is what he’s come to expect from the junior. 

“I don’t worry a bit about his productivity,” McKay said. “He’s an
absolute warrior.”  

While the starters like Cabbil and James contributed their fair share, the bench was also impressive. The Flames bench outscored the Bengals 40-16, and all 11 players who stepped on the court for the Flames scored. Also, the bench contributed to the defensive intensity, forcing the Bengals to shoot contested, low-percentage shots with little time left on the shot clock. 

One surprise of the night was the fact that junior guard Georgie Pacheo-Ortiz started the game on the bench. McKay said it was because Pacheo-Ortiz did not fully study the scouting report and was subsequently disciplined. It ended Pacheo-Ortiz’s streak of 70 consecutive game starts, but the junior did not allow that to affect his attitude on the court. 

“I think I brought energy off the bench,” Pacheo-Ortiz said. “I think I just played my role. Just trying to be a leader. I know I didn’t start, but I started to be a leader
off the bench.” 

The staunch defense, ability to adjust on the fly and the unselfishness of the players are good signs in the early going for the Flames, who have a difficult schedule to face. Liberty will have three games against Power 5 schools in UCLA, Alabama and Vanderbilt. The Flames will play Trevecca Nazarene Tuesday, Nov. 13, at 8:30 p.m. following the Lady Flames home opener versus Virginia Tech at 6:30 p.m.