Column: Bits of Hope

It is unusual, as a journalist, to find myself at a loss for words. For almost four years now, I have studied the craft of turning thoughts into written words. 

Yet, as I began to type out my support for the Jewish community after the massacre in Pittsburgh Saturday, Oct. 27, I felt unable to do so in a way that would not make it seem like I was forcing myself to take part in a hurt not my own.

And certainly, the hurt being experienced by the families of the 11 victims, the congregation in Pittsburgh and the entire Jewish community is more than I can possibly understand.

But, as I revisited how important it felt to express my support in written word, I realized why I was feeling unable to separate myself from the personal hurt of the massacre. Because to me, though I’m not a Jew, my hurt for the Jewish community cuts deep.

In December of 2017, I stepped off an airplane at Ben Gurion Airport, just outside of Tel Aviv, Israel. I began a trip where I was slated to learn the delicate politics at play within the Middle East and Israel’s role in them.

Fifty college students from the United States traveled with me.  As the first day unfolded, I realized that all but six of the students were Jewish, and two others followed Islamic teachings. 

I suddenly felt incredibly out of my comfort zone. I was thrown into an unfamiliar culture, with an unfamiliar group of people. 

Ultimately, the Jewish community welcomed me with open and loving arms. I was invited into their homes to participate in some of their most special times. 

I was given the opportunity to ask questions about things I did not understand, and they always answered with patience and love. Time and time again, they ensured that I felt not only welcomed within their community, but a part of it.

They have treated my Christian beliefs as valid. They see my religion as a natural ally to theirs, just as I see their religion as the natural foundation to mine. 

I have received well wishes from them on holidays that are fundamental to my own beliefs, and I have seen the excitement in their eyes on my behalf as I experienced some of the most holy places to my religion.

My life has been blessed by the Jewish community, and although our beliefs are different, I believe their faith should be treated with the same love and patience that they have given mine. 

As Christians we should empathize with the pain of all people groups.

For these reasons, I am unable to separate myself from the hurt they are all feeling.

I, and others like me, stand with the Jewish community in mourning their loss.