Three Chilcotts, one university

For one year only, there is an unusual sibling trio at Liberty University. Their names are Andrew, Trey and Lizzy Chilcott, and they are all resident assistants (RA).

“Three siblings, who from youngest to oldest are six years apart, happen to be at school at the same time and all end up in the same role,” Andrew Chilcott said. “It’s kind of unique.”

Andrew, a graduate student, was the first to take up the RA mantle five and a half years ago. His younger brother and sister followed much later.

“Well, they’ve always wanted to be like me, so…” Andrew Chilcott said, grinning. 

Lizzy groaned, then gave her own, more serious, answer.

The Chilcotts took different paths, all leading to serving as RAs .

“I don’t think any of us did it because the other (sibling) had done it,” Lizzy Chilcott said. “I didn’t do it just because Andrew and Trey had done it; I don’t think Trey did it just because Andrew had done it. We all had our separate situations, and we all had that desire.”

Andrew Chilcott agreed, saying that the three of them had taken different paths to the role and had each come at their own pace. Even now, though they get along well, the siblings move in different friend groups and do not see each other that often.

“We all came to it through very different circumstances, and I think that shows that we didn’t do it for the name of it; we didn’t do it to try to be the same,” Andrew Chilcott said. “Individually we all saw opportunities there to serve.”

During his first two years at Liberty, Trey Chilcott would never have thought that he would become an RA. The responsibility looked intimidating. His siblings’ paths, however, made perfect sense.

“With the other two it doesn’t come as a surprise that they are RAs because they are both very much leaders,” Trey Chilcott said. “Even when my sister was a freshman, I could see her being an RA in the future. And my brother has just always been that way, a spiritual leader.”

Trey Chilcott was encouraged to try for the position anyway and ended up loving it. He especially loves getting to know people from multitude of backgrounds and he appreciates how his role forces him to be intentional about it. He plans to continue in similar mentorship roles throughout his career, whether in teaching, coaching or youth ministry.

His brother, too, is contemplating life after graduation.

From left to right: Trey, Lizzie and Andrew. (Photo: Kyra Thompson)

“My experience at Liberty has almost always been as an RA,” Andrew Chilcott said. “I don’t know what I’d do with my time (otherwise). It’s just normal to have to do room checks and convo checks and get woken up at 3 a.m. to deal with the cops and some event going on. That’s just normal life now.”

All three Chilcotts are graduating together next May. Andrew will receive his master’s degree and Trey and Lizzy (fifth and third-year seniors, respectively) their bachelor’s. 

Lizzy Chilcott called herself a “baby RA” as she is only a month into her new position, but she values the chance to minister to the girls in her care. Andrew, too, views being a resident assistant as a ministry, but he stresses that it is not a unique one.

“Being an RA … shouldn’t be anything that a believer shouldn’t be doing anyway,” Andrew Chilcott said. “Disciplining in love, taking care of one another as brothers or sisters, lending wise council, being a helping hand when someone’s down or needs someone to lean on: they’re all things that I think people view as a role, but I don’t see it as a role so much as just a structuring of what I do as a believer anyway. So, when I leave RA, I’m going to be doing the same things.”

2 comments

• Just read this article on these outstanding young people! ( I am friends with their Mom Kris), and it is no surprise there, knowing Mom, that these folks are as grounded and selfless as they are! It is encouraging to other Christians to see young people in there doing their part as Christians, leading people to Christ in that practical everyday life -living way, that speaks volumes about what we really believe. I am so proud to have a second-and knowledge of these folks through Mom even if we haven’t met and know that Mom is so proud of them, but also as a mother myself, it’s really the every day things that count that make up the choices that ultimately lead to larger and better seen realities of integrity as a Christian in our kids growing up and leading by example. Not all of these get notices, say one of your kids quietly helps a disabled peer get to the cafeteria every day, as an example, but whatever it is that they allow God to lead them to do in obedience and love for Him, it serves for at least one person they come across in their lives as an example. And for that it is worth all the time and effort, and it makes us as parents know our job was done maybe better than we thought! We know God was leading us as parents thru sometimes those tough days as well and that they are turning out to be His in a world that so desperately needs to see His light! Keep up the good work kiddos!!! Nora

• I agree with Nora, especially when she mentioned that we as Christ-followers are led to obey God out of love for Him and others. I’ve known the Chilcott family since the early 90’s, so I saw some of their parenting skills and how their children interacted with my children. This family definitely displays the fruits of their faith: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, goodness and self-control. All wonderful traits to being an excellent RA by the way! I’m encouraged to know that they each of the trio have their own friend groups yet they seem to have same goal to reach out to the residents they are entrusted with. To God be the glory, great things He is doing!