Strong start for Lady Flames Field Hockey

The Liberty University women’s field hockey team is two games into their season and have already made a big splash, with senior Agui Moroni being awarded the national offensive player of the week for her performance in their first game at James Madison University.

Moroni scored a hat trick during the 6-1 rout of JMU on August 24. The hat trick and her two assists allowed her to earn the award.

“For me every game is a big game and every practice is a big practice,” Moroni said. “Every day I just try to go and leave everything out there.”

Coach Parsley-Blocker said that, despite the 4-3 overtime loss to Duke on August 24, she believes this team is good enough to be undefeated.

“My expectation was to come out of the gate 2-0 because I know the pulse of this team and we are a super talented this year,” Parsley-Blocker said. “We just don’t want to let the ups be too high or the lows be too low.”

She said that she is proud of the way the girls performed against Duke and that she thinks the team played well together until the very end.

“We honestly we have such a high energy as a team,” Moroni said. “We don’t really have any problems between us, we just all love each other, and everyone feels at home together.”

At the end of the day, both Moroni and Parsley-Blocker have the same goal; a Big East Championship, which will be hosted here at Liberty this fall November 4.

“I have a few personal goals in my mind and I feel like I’ve already accomplished a couple of them,” Moroni said. “In my last year I would really like to see a Big East championship and a NCAA big four finish.”