Column: Life with Logan

Chaos, confusion and tragedy.

These three words summarized Sept. 11, 2001, a day made infamous by Islamic terror. The attacks resulted in 3,000 innocent American deaths and 6,000 injured. It left America crippled, angry and distraught.

We often measure a tragedy based on death tolls and injuries, but we rarely consider the people who miraculously escaped both.

According to CNN, about 20,000 workers occupied the World Trade Center (WTC) when the first plane hit the North Tower at 8:46 a.m. Had the attack occurred later that afternoon, after the entire workforce of 50,000 arrived, the death toll may have reached a much higher quantity. 

But this column is not about reminiscing past tragedies or articulating future procedures to prevent another disaster. I want to highlight the individuals who made it possible for 18,000 to escape the deadly
clutches of 9/11.       

While many fled the scene, firefighters, police officers and even several members of the general public rushed to their graves with one thing in mind: Others.

These heroes stopped at nothing to clear the towers. I occasionally watch YouTube videos of firefighters approaching the WTC, even as the buildings were on the brink of collapse. The buildings trembled violently, weakening by the minute. Yet these heroes continued to ascend in hopes of reaching one more person.

These champions knew they would never hug their children or kiss their wives again.

With the 17th anniversary of 9/11, the word “sacrifice” is taking a whole new meaning, most recently displayed on a Nike
advertisement.  

America has fallen into a culture that distorts bravery, heroism and sacrifice. Culture has entirely redefined the terms to meet the narrative of a political agenda. It sickens me. 

Why does our society exalt people like Bruce Jenner for undergoing transgender surgery? Does “walking out of the closet” really reach the peak of bravery? Even further, is “sacrifice” truly the correct verb to describe kneeling during the National Anthem?

Absolutely not!

I do not want to dehumanize these individuals. They are fallen, sinful people — like myself.

We live in a country saturated in political correctness, a cancer that is indoctrinating society to ignore true problems in pursuit of a political narrative. 

I personally love Nike apparel, and I plan to wear my comfortable Nikes during my next intramural basketball game. But it is an utter insult to place individuals like former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick on a pedestal of “sacrifice.” 

Some celebrated the new advertisement. Others, like myself, were deeply disturbed. To even use the words “sacrifice” and “Kaepernick” in the same sentence makes
me cringe. 

In 2015, Bruce Jenner received the ESPYs’ Courage Award, an honor given to individuals who demonstrated perseverance through adversity.

As you read this, thousands of homeless veterans are struggling to survive, and active military personnel are fighting for your protection. Police and firemen continue to sacrifice. Yet somehow athletes and celebrities are receiving the badges of honor. 

As we remember the lives lost during the 9/11 attacks, let’s never forget the sacrifices made by countless firefighters and other first responders. 

They are the real MVPs, reflecting the real meaning of “sacrificing everything.”