Liberty Lacrosse Defender to Play for German National Team

Liberty’s top defender Lukas Tophoven is taking his talents to the German National Lacrosse Team this summer to compete in the Federation of International Lacrosse World Championship in Israel. Tophoven, who is both a German and American citizen, was the youngest player to ever play on the German national team at age 17 and will be the youngest again for this year’s tournament at 21.

Tophoven was born in Virginia and moved to Texas at a young age. When he was 11, his family moved to Berlin, Germany, where the future star found the game of lacrosse.

“There was no lacrosse in Texas and when I moved to Germany, I was looking for a sport to play,” Tophoven said. “I wanted to play football, but my mom said no.”

Tophoven wanted to play a fast and physical sport, so Lacrosse was the perfect fit.

“I found Lacrosse at my school. I loved the people who played, it helped me learn German… and it was different,” Tophoven said.

At age 11, Tophoven knew that Lacrosse was going to be his passion.

His passion was tested three years later when 14-year-old Tophoven tried out for Germany’s under 19 national team but did not make the cut.

“After I did not make the team, I told myself I was going to work really hard to make the team again for the next tournament four years from then,” Tophoven said.

His determination paid off when only three years later, the coach for the German National Team approached him and asked him to try out for the national team for fun.

“I took it because it was the next level for me,” Tophoven said. “I went to the three camps, made each cut, then made the national team. My hard work really paid off.”

The young superstar said that though it was fun being on the national team at such a young age, it was not always easy.

“I felt there was a lot of pressure on me since I was the youngest to ever make the team,” Tophoven said. “But it was still a lot of fun.”

Tophoven credits his early success to his determination to “make it” and his ability to learn from mistakes.

“I love constructive criticism and learning from my mistakes on how to get better,” Tophoven said.

Even with the distractions and commitment of being a national athlete, Tophoven says lacrosse is not always his main priority. He says one of the main reasons that he chose to come to America for school was to grow in his faith.

“Lacrosse has been a huge part of my identity,” Tophoven said. “My primary identity has been in God, but being here at Liberty, I have learned more about my faith and how it correlates with lacrosse and I have learned that lacrosse is not my whole life.”

The German-American citizen leaves no time wasted when not on the lacrosse field. Tophoven is studying psychology at Liberty with the goal of obtaining his doctorate in psychology.

“I love learning about people and different cultures,” Tophoven said. “I like to integrate people together, connect people and help share ideas.”

Tophoven also wants to use his psychology studies for mission work as well. Next school year, Tophoven will be a Resident Assistant on Liberty’s campus.

The German National team starts practice in two months in Barcelona, where they will be scrimmaging against the number one NCAA team in the U.S., Notre Dame. The Federation of International Lacrosse Championship takes place between July 12-21 in Netanya, Israel. To be a part of the German National Team, Lukas needs to raise $4,500 in two months. The donations will go toward travel expenses, housing and entry fees. Donations can be made on his Gofundme page at www.gofundme.com/roadtoisrael-com.