Flames Extinguish Buccaneers in Double Header

Liberty Baseball won its second game of a double header handily during Military Appreciation Day Saturday, April 14. In their 9-1 victory over Charleston Southern University, the Flames saw a great pitching performance, a home run and a coach get tossed.

Noah Skirrow, a freshman who was making his eighth career start for the Flames, came out and struck out eight and allowed just five baserunners in front of over 2,300 fans.

“I’ve really firmed up my delivery and repeated it well, just being more consistent and staying with myself and not trying to do too much is the biggest thing,” Skirrow said.

This is the second straight impressive performance for Skirrow; he threw six shutout innings after giving up just two earned runs in his last start.

“Noah’s been great the last two times out,” head coach Scott Jackson said. “I think Tre’s really helped him back there behind the plate; he steals a lot of pitches for him and I think Noah feels like he can really be aggressive with his slider cause Tre’s gonna keep it in front of him.”

Jackson was referring to junior centerfielder Tre Todd, who also had a solid game and weekend. During the weekend, he went 8-of-11, including two home runs in game one of the double header. He went 2-of-4 with a walk and a grand slam in this game, registering four RBIs.

At the time of Todd’s home run, Liberty was up 5-0 after back-to-back bases loaded walks. Charleston Southern’s head coach Adam Ward was ejected after arguing the check swing call on Liberty’s Trey McDyre that caused the walk that made it 5-0. Right after the ejection, Todd came up and hit a no-doubter to give Liberty a 9-0 lead.

“I thought our guys were really good with two strikes and moved some balls and got some big two-strike, two-out hits, and you know Tre Todd was unbelievable this weekend,” Jackson said.

The Flames drew five walks alone in a six-run sixth inning, and 10 walks in the game.

Liberty originally started scoring in the second after a stolen base following a walk for Cam Locklear and an RBI single by Brandon Rohrer. DJ Artis hit a home run to lead off the third, and Dylan Allen scored on a single by Logan Mathieu after moving to second on a wild pitch.

“For us to be able to jump out on their starters and then they go to their better guys out of the bullpen, and you know, we’ve got the lead, that certainly is a great feeling for us,” Jackson said.

Liberty’s sweep over Charleston Southern brings their record to 22-12 and 10-5 in Big South play, which puts them in third place in the conference.

“I’m ready to click off a few of these in a row because I felt like things were starting to fall into place for us, and so it’s a lot easier said than done, as we all know,” Jackson said. “But, yeah, five in a row, kind of gives a chance, like I said, to hopefully have some momentum that we can have going into what I think is a really important… maybe our toughest week of the year at Virginia and then High Point.”

Liberty will return home for a series against Longwood starting on April 27 and will follow up that series with a game against Virginia Tech on Wednesday, May 2.