Alumni Advice to Seniors

Seniors, you are less than three months away from putting on that cap and gown and walking across the stage to get your degree. First off, congratulations to you for your accomplishment. As you get ready to become adults in the real world, some former students would like to give bit of advice.

Adrianna Shotyk is the lead technical director for Liberty Flames Sports Network while also being a freelance technical director when she has time. She urges students in the field of communication to be ready once you get that degree.

“My advice to the senior class would be to get as much experience as you can before you leave,” Shotyk said. “Do not be afraid of the industry because there can be a lot of great events to work. Never be afraid of any opportunity that you are presented. Show them who you are and you may walk away with another gig in the future.”

Dave Schauble is a teacher in Michigan. He teaches fifth grade and graduated in 2016. He said that sometimes you have to wait for that job.

“After I finished college, I moved back home and helped manage a restaurant in my town,” Schauble said. “I took a year off to find myself and be a substitute to really make sure elementary school teacher was they way I really wanted to go. Do not be afraid to have time off. You have the rest of your life to work.”

While it took Schauble a year to land a job, he also said that in that spare time, he learned new things that were changing in education.

“Just because I was not teaching didn’t mean I stopped learning,” Schauble said. “Things change dramatically in the teaching area, and I wanted to make sure I stayed up to date on everything so that I was ready to teach for whatever class I got. That time off really helped me gather supplies and knowledge on what I needed to do in the classroom.”

After graduating college, sometimes you can feel alone since you are not always surrounded by your friends all the time. Recent graduate Kaity Campbell said that the switch was a little difficult for her as well. Kaity is now a registered nurse and works for Lynchburg General Hospital.

“When I walked across that stage, I felt so empowered,” Campbell said. “It was when I got home that I realized that it was time to be an adult. Yeah, you can still hang out with your friends, but your main concern is your job and making sure you can find one.”

Campbell said that the switch put her in a daze.

“I took my first RN a few weeks after I graduated, and because I felt so upset finishing college, I failed,” Campbell said. “It took a second try to get it, but it’s weird to think about life after college.”

Campbell also said there is hope. She stated that she found a group of friends and is always active in a small group.

“After I passed my RN, my life got back on track,” Campbell said. “I found a great group of people in my workplace to be with and spend time with. I was scared I wouldn’t have anyone after college since all of my close friends moved away, but I have made new friends and still stay in touch with my other friends as well.”

Seniors, be ready for whatever plans God may have for you. Transitioning into adult life can be scary at times, but you can do it. Everything that happens will be a lesson you can use in your life.