Gubernatorial candidates pitch policies to improve Virginians before Nov. election

• Republican, Democratic and Libertarian candidates share their experiences and reasons Virginians should vote for them.
  • Residential voting for the Nov. 7 election is closed, but those registered to vote can still register for an absentee ballot until Oct. 31 at midnight.

The most powerful seat in Virginia is up for grabs, and it is not going unnoticed as Democratic incumbent Lieutenant Governor Ralph Northam, Republican candidate Ed Gillespie and Libertarian candidate Cliff Hyra are campaigning vigorously for the position.

The governor’s seat is currently held by Democrat Terry McAuliffe, who defeated Republican Kenneth Cuccinelli by over 50,000 votes in 2013. The position has been swinging between the Republican and Democratic parties since 2005.

Gillespie has had a long history with the Republican Party, acting as the Chairman of the Republican National Committee and counselor to President George W. Bush.

“I’m proud to be running as a Republican,” Gillespie said. “I’m also proud to put forward ideas and policies that I know will benefit all Virginians, (who) are innovative, and people who are Republican, Democrat and independent. I’m going to get their votes as result of those thoughtful policies.”

Gillespie said people will recognize his policies as superior to either Northam’s or Hyra’s.

“At the end of the day, people make a decision based on who has the right ideas and who’s got the right sense of urgency to bring to this important office at a critically important time in our commonwealth’s history,” Gillespie said. “I know I can overcome (Northam’s) incumbent’s advantage through my ideas and the energy of my campaign.”

Northam, a doctor and army veteran, is trying to replace McAuliffe after serving as lieutenant governor since 2013.

“Ralph Northam just has an incredible resume,” Lynchburg Democratic Committee Chair Katie Cyphert said. “Northam is very much coming from a service background.”

Cyphert said Northam is intimately familiar with healthcare issues given his pediatric and political backgrounds.

“I think he understands the needs within healthcare from the unique perspective of being not only a doctor, but also from the perspective of being in the state senate as the lieutenant governor,” Cyphert said. “Health insurance … is an investment in our people, in our workforce and ultimately in our families and households.”

Hyra, a Virginia native and graduate of Virginia Tech, said he is familiar with the struggles Virginians face.

“I’m very familiar with the state, with the problems we have, and with a lot of the things that need to change that will improve the lives of all Virginians,” Hyra said. “I think I’m the only candidate that has a vision for Virginia that is both innovative and inclusive. I don’t think the other candidates understand the importance of both of those things in today’s world.”

Hyra is focused on issues like tax and criminal justice reform.

“It’s critical to have a world-class tax and regulatory system, which is something we do not have right now in Virginia,” Hyra said. “At the same time, I recognize the enormous contributions that immigrants make to our commonwealth and the urgency of criminal justice reform.”

Hyra wants to legalize marijuana, citing how wasteful it is to incarcerate possession offenders — $30,000 a year per incarceration.

“We’re not getting any benefit from that money,” Hyra said. “We’d be better off taking that money and setting it on fire because at least we wouldn’t be making things worse.”

Hyra believes one of the reasons why Virginia voters will be attracted to him is because of his down-to-earth, every-man campaign.

“I offer a very different perspective not being a professional politician, being more of a regular guy, a younger guy who’s running a business, raising a family here in Virginia,” Hyra said. “I think there’s a big advantage not being one of the other old party candidates.”

Although the residential voting registration has closed, students can still register to vote absentee until Oct. 31 by midnight for the Nov. 7 elections.