Super senior

Softball pitcher takes leadership role

LEAD — Kenzie Friesen is 11-1 this season with a 1.96 ERA on the mound. Photo Credit: Leah Seavers

LEAD — Kenzie Friesen is 11-1 this season with a 1.96 ERA on the mound.
Photo Credit: Leah Seavers

Despite eight months of cold weather in Saskatchewan, Canada, Liberty University redshirt senior softball pitcher Kenzie Friesen did not let her hometown prevent her from playing the sport she loved at the collegiate level.

Until she was old enough to pitch, Friesen participated in a variety of sports to satisfy her competitive drive.

Softball, however, became her favorite.

“I always wanted to play softball,” Friesen said.

“But for whatever reason, when I was really young, I was like, ‘it’s not going to be fun just hitting the ball off a tee or having a parent pitch it.’”

Friesen gives credit to her family members for her competitive spirit.

Growing up, Friesen’s family participated in a variety of sports.

“My dad was a really good softball player in Canada,” Friesen said.

“My mom ran half-marathons, my brother played collegiate football and my sister ran collegiate track, so from a very young age, we were all extremely competitive.”

In elementary school, Friesen enjoyed watching USA women’s softball
legend Jennie Finch, who came to Friesen’s hometown to play.

“Finch was an all-around role model,” Friesen said.

“She looked like someone I could be like when I got older.”

During high school, Friesen flew to Virginia to participate in Liberty’s softball prospect camp, a recruiting event that hundreds of girls attended.

During that camp, Friesen showcased her pitching talents to former Liberty Head Coach Paul Wetmore.

At first, Friesen struggled to perform her best for the coaches.

She worried that the coaches would not notice her amidst the 200 other girls.

However, all that changed when the scrimmages started.

“When the scrimmage came, I was striking girls out, hitting doubles and I even crushed the fitness test,” Friesen said.

“It all went my way that day.”

After the prospect camp, Wetmore approached Friesen and offered her a scholarship. At that moment, Friesen’s dream of playing competitive softball was within reach.

“I was so excited that (Wetmore) noticed me,” Friesen said.

“Him wanting me here was an honor.”

According to libertyflames.com, Friesen made 17 appearances in the circle and started four games her freshman year.

Before her sophomore season, however, a foreboding event took place that threatened Friesen’s collegiate career.

During a conditioning day for OKC Challenge, Friesen tore her ACL.

“I don’t even know how to describe that,” Friesen said.

“It was very hard.”

Friesen said that one of the hardest parts about tearing her ACL was realizing that she would still have to compete for her starting position.

Immediately following her injury, Friesen decided to redshirt, which meant she would eventually play as a fifth-year senior.

“I’ll never forget her surgery,” current Liberty Head Coach Dot Richardson said.

“And the next thing you know, she’s working on a bucket, doing spins and all her
pitcher stuff.”

Richardson said Friesen came back stronger than ever during her redshirt sophomore season.

According to libertyflames.com, Friesen made a total of 28 appearances, 19 starts and collected 62 strikeouts.

Despite her outstanding performances during the 2015 season, the coaches had different plans for Friesen coming into the 2016 season.

During her redshirt junior year, Friesen only pitched for 10 innings.

“I honestly believe I pitched more than our starting pitchers did (that season),” Friesen said, referring to her practice in the bullpen.

“Some of the times in my life when I grew the most was in the bullpen.”

According to Friesen, her family was instrumental in helping her stay mentally tough despite the lack of playing time.

She wanted to play, but she embraced the fact that everything happened for a reason.   

Although Friesen did not start her redshirt junior year, Richardson said Friesen’s leadership has been an integral part of the softball team throughout her collegiate career.

“The testimony Kenzie has is going to be like none other,” Richardson said.

“Kenzie has brought true leadership. She is selfless and is willing to be there when
anyone needs her.”

MOM — Friesen was honored at senior day. Photo Credit: Leah Seavers

MOM — Friesen was honored at senior day.
Photo Credit: Leah Seavers

On senior day during the team dinner, Friesen’s teammates spoke on behalf of her character, and took time to thank her for her leadership through the last five seasons.

“It gave me chills,” Richardson said.

“It was breathtaking. There was not a dry eye in the room after everyone got done talking about Kenzie.”

Friesen is currently pursuing her master’s degree in exercise science and hopes to attend physical therapy school.

“I think that what those people do, the knowledge they have, and the ability they have to rehab someone is insane,” Friesen said.

Throughout her time at Liberty, Friesen witnessed the Liberty softball program grow into what it is today.

“When I came in, (Liberty) was a very small, homey, intimate environment,” Friesen said.

“I never thought that I’d be able to play in a stadium like this and be one of the pitchers. It’s crazy to see how the Lord has blessed us.”

Smith  is a sports reporter.