Shia Labeouf confirmed for Convocation

Senior Vice President for Spiritual Development David Nasser announced that actor and motivational speaker Shia Labeouf will be a guest for Liberty’s “Convo on the lawn with President Falwell” April 28.

Photo Credit: Google Images

Photo Credit: Google Images

Labeouf has starred in renowned films such as Holes, Disturbia, the Transformers series, Fury, Lawless and many more successful films. The critically acclaimed entertainer has also been widely recognized in the field of performance arts for works such as his “Just Do It” monologue and his “#ALLMYMOVIES” event, where he consecutively watched all his films and livestreamed his reactions to each of his performances.

In an interview, Labeouf once stated he was living a meaningless life, despite all his clear success in the entertainment field.

“I know I am one of the luckiest dudes in America right now,” Labeouf said in a 2009 interview. “I have a great house. My parents don’t have to work. I’ve got money. I’m famous. But it could all change, man. It could go away. You never know. I have no idea where this insecurity comes from, but it is like a God-sized hole. If I knew, I’d fill it, and I’d be on my way”

In 2013 Labeouf found God while working on “Fury” and filled that void.

“I could have just said the prayers that were on the page,” Labeouf said in a 2014 interview with People magazine. “But it was a real thing that really saved me. It’s a full-blown exchange of heart, a surrender of control.”

Nasser reached out to the entertainer in hopes of him coming to give students wisdom and encouragement late in the semester.

“Shia is really just a pastor to pastors,” Nasser said. “This is a guy who has his heart set out for God, and he doesn’t hesitate. He just does it.”

Labeouf will share insight about his journey and how material things left him with nothing but a void, and also encourage students to “Just Do It.”

Though some people still have their doubts about Labeouf due to his prior lifestyle, President Falwell has expressed his excitement for Labeouf to join him on the lawn and encourage students to push through the last two weeks of the semester.

“It is my privilege and honor to stand alongside Shia for a special day for Liberty students,” Falwell said. “We are the largest Christian University in the world, forgiveness and a new life is what we’re all about.”

Labeouf will also share his professional insight for film and performance students at a closed seminar later in the day.

**Happy April Fools’ Day**