Big play gets big honors

Julius named to U-21 United States national field hockey team

TALENT— Abby Julius was named a second team All-Big East honoree in 2016. Photo Credit: Joel Coleman

TALENT— Abby Julius was named a second team All-Big East honoree in 2016.
Photo Credit: Joel Coleman

For the first time in program history, one of Liberty University’s field hockey players will be admitted onto the U-21 United States national team.

Sophomore midfielder Abby Julius has had a successful field hockey record since 2011.

Her high school team has been to multiple state and divisional championships, and she was a part of both an all-state and
all-region team.

Julius became serious about field hockey

when she transferred to Lower Dauphin High School in Pennsylvania.

“Field hockey was a huge deal there,” Julius said.

“My sophomore year I started thinking about if I wanted to go to school for it, and I did.”

Julius admires her mother for the commitment she made to helping her become successful in the sport.

“My mom took me everywhere,” Julius said.

“She was my biggest supporter getting me into every camp. I would not be here if it wasn’t for her.”

Julius was not planning to attend Liberty for the game.

In fact, the decision was last minute.

“I decided to come to Liberty during the end of senior year,” Julius said.

“Things changed a lot in high school, and toward the end I was thinking about where I wanted to go, and I felt God call me here.”

The time Julius has spent at Liberty has been rewarding.

According to libertyflames.com, she netted three goals, four assists and 10 points in 16 games.

Julius was even more of a threat to opponents in the team’s 2016 campaign, totaling five goals, four assists and 14 points in 17 games on her way to being named a second team All-Big East honoree.

Julius did not have many words to express her emotions with the admission to the national team.

However, she understands how great of an opportunity this is.

“It is a huge honor,” Julius said.

“It validates all the hard work you put in. It feels good to get this opportunity. It’s great.”

Julius said she does not think being on the U-21 will change much about her life now, but it will help the team to improve in multiple aspects.

“I don’t think it is going to affect me too much,” Julius said.

“It’ll be good for our team because I will be learning so much stuff out there that I can bring back here to put into play.”

Julius spoke highly of the team and explained how encouraged she was by
their support.

“My team was so supportive of me,” Julius said.

“They were really proud, so it was great. The coaches and their training (have) helped a lot, and their support has been great.”

Julius said she is looking forward to watching more teammates join national teams.

She sees them trying hard on and off season and said this can be the beginning of something great in Liberty athletics.

“I’m excited,” Julius said.

“It’s like a start now, and more girls are going to want to strive to get onto teams like this. Our team has always been really hard-working. They strive to do their best all the time.”

Julius said she likes the spirit of competition and the team aspect of the game.

“You’re competing with people you love to get the results you try for,” Julius said.

Julius has watched herself improve in the ways she struggles since she has
been at Liberty.

“I used to be the kind of player that would get in my head if I made a mistake, but now I am better at letting go,” Julius said, “I tell myself to shake it off and get back into the game.”

Julius said there is not a specific thing she wants to work on but that she wants to improve all around.

“I want to be on this team to help us get to winning a national championship,” Julius said.

“I want to be involved in the growth of it, getting titles, going as far as we can through the season.”

Although she is undecided on her major and other areas of her life, she is open to following the game and where God leads her.

“I’ll go wherever it takes me,” Julius said.

Deutsch is a sports reporter.