Three times the fun

Liberty triathlete places 21st at the USA Triathlon National Championships

Racing into the water at the USA Triathlon Collegiate Club 2016 National Championships held at Clemson University April 22-23, junior Megan Merryman competed for the second
time at Nationals.

Last year, she placed 163 out of 461 with a time of 2:36:09 in the Olympic race, a 1500m swim, 40k bike and 10k run, according to teamusa.org. This year, she ranked 21 out of 500 women in the competition with a time of 2:26:52.

Since 2014, Merryman, an exercise science student, has competed with the triathlon team under the coaching of Parker Spencer.

Merryman’s journey began standing at the edge of a pool preparing for a 300m swim that later transitioned into a 25k bike ride through the streets of Lynchburg ending in a 5k run.

She started with her first sprint triathlon.

Transition — Megan Merryman competed at Nationals April 22. Photo credit: Ty Hester

Merryman never would have imagined joining, but after participating in the Angels Race sprint triathlon that takes place every April in Lynchburg during her freshman year, she found a passion for the sport.

Wanting to push herself and test her personal limitations, Merryman took up the task of training for the race early in the spring semester of 2014.

After the Angels Race, Merryman considered joining the triathlon team, but she never pursued the opportunity.

“I feel like triathlon found me,” Merryman said.

One day as Merryman walked through the second floor of DeMoss Hall, she was noticed by a member of the triathlon team. Merryman was wearing her bright blue Angels Race T-shirt that day, and the girl asked if she was interested in being part of the team.

Immediately, the girl emailed Spencer, asking if Merryman could join, and within the next few hours, the coach had called Merryman. She agreed to join the team.

Two days later, she integrated the practice schedule into her daily routine.

“The reason I joined is because I just wanted to push (my) limits,” Merryman said. “I always ask myself, ‘Can I actually do this?’ so I wanted to find out if I could.”

After nearly two years with the team, Merryman trains 13-16 hours per week, but even though the practice schedule keeps her busy, she said she has learned to follow the instruction
of Spencer.

“I guess a big thing (in order to succeed) is trusting my coach,” Merryman said. “When he gives me the work out plan, he’s just setting me up for success.”

Merryman plans to compete with the club team again next year, hoping for a better season.

She said ranking No. 21 will push her to do better, perform harder next year and always improve.

Merryman said she hopes to one day obtain a procard and compete in an IronMan competition.

Tiller is the social media manager.