Hitting the high note

Sodexo worker Jarell Hall appears on The Voice, pursuing his lifelong dream

Jarell Hall always knew he wanted to be a singer.

PERFORMER — In pursuit of his musical passion, Jarell Hall started “Viral,” a rhythm and blues band. Photo credit: Michela Diddle

He grew up in a musically talented house in Lynchburg, Virginia, where he trained himself vocally under the guidance of his mother, who had a music career of her own.

From a very young age, Hall knew singing was his passion, and it has driven him to pursue a career in music ever since.

“My goal is to make it to the top – to be as big as I can be,” Hall said.

“I really want it, I really do. And I feel like if I don’t work hard myself, then I’ll never get it.”

Hall, 25, works at the Reber-Thomas Dining Hall, but he would rather be known for his vocals.

In February of this year, Hall made his debut on NBC’s “The Voice,” a reality singing competition in which a panel of judges critique artists and create teams of artists to mentor and train.

Hall initially tried out for The Voice Feb. 20 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He had been thinking about going to tryouts in the past, but had trouble raising enough money to travel to the try-out location.

It was his family that eventually helped him raise the needed funds to travel to Philadelphia.

“All of my family gave me like $10 or $20 (each),” Hall said. “And I had to audition in Philadelphia, and it just so happens I have family that lives in Philadelphia, so I … caught the train and was able to stay with them.”

In the initial try-out phase of the competition, Hall made it to the second round before being eliminated.

In the first round of the competition, Hall was put in a group of 10 and told to sing in front of the other competitors in the group with a sole judge in the room.

In his first audition, Hall chose to sing “Something’s Got a Hold on Me” by Etta James.

“The experience was exciting,” Hall said.

“You’re in a room full of people, and you’re singing with everybody in the same room, and it was all sort of beautiful to me. I met a lot of people, and it was great. I never experienced anything like it before.”

Hall was later separated from the rest of the group and told to sing another song in front of the judge alone.

After the judge heard Hall sing for a second time, he admitted him into the second round.

After loads of paperwork and a four-day break in between rounds, Hall was placed in a studio with a judge instead of a room full of fellow competitors.

His song of choice was “One Call Away” by Charlie Puth.

Despite not being cleared to compete further on the show, Hall said the judge told him he had a lot of talent and should try out again in future seasons.

“They told me I was amazing and said I should come back next year,” Hall said. “So if I can’t get everything going good by next year, I’ll probably go back.”

To hone his craft, Hall said he tries to practice singing at least eight hours a day when at home and in practices with his rhythm and blues group, “Viral.”

The group consists of Hall, three other singers and a rapper.

The group is currently taking dance classes and practicing vocals while planning its first tour across Maryland, Washington D.C. and Connecticut.

Hall said he is looking for other members to join “Viral”. He will be holding a meeting Tuesday, April 26 at 2245 Rivermont Ave., Lynchburg at 8 p.m.

To get involved, call Hall at 434-229-3314.

“Right now, I’m just trying to get out of Lynchburg,” Hall said with a chuckle. “And it’s been hard trying to get out, but I’m not about to give up soon.”

Young is a feature reporter.