Competitive community

Students, faculty and staff challenged each other at the rock wall Feb. 26

Dozens of students watched as climbers conquered the rock wall with strength and finesse.

chalk up — More than 80 participants gathered at the LaHaye Student Union rock wall to compete at different levels of difficulty. Photo credit: Michela Diddle

Chalk up — More than 80 participants gathered at the LaHaye Student Union rock wall to compete at different levels of difficulty. Photo credit: Michela Diddle

The bouldering competition kicked off Student Activities’ Outdoor Rec Fest Feb. 26. The competition was held at the LaHaye Student Union rock wall.

Students, faculty and staff competed in three different categories, each having three winners and a top female overall prize. Raffle prizes were given to participants throughout the event as well.

“It’s been really exciting to see the culture and just the numbers, and everybody kind of grow slowly but surely and get more and more interested in it and become more passionate about it,” rock wall Coordinator Elliot Gaunt said.

More than 80 participants competed for the top spot in either the beginner, intermediate or advanced category. The females did better than ever, according to Gaunt.

“The female competition was the best we’ve ever had, so it was really fun to watch them compete,” Gaunt said. “So maybe we’ll have their own category instead of just a top female prize eventually.”

Competing for her second time, freshman Haylynn Gaunt won the top female overall category.

“My favorite part about the competition is certainly just the community. … Everyone is so close,” Haylynn Gaunt said. “Sportsmanship was the theme for the night, and seeing everyone cheering each other on and just having an awesome time in fellowship is such an awesome experience, not to mention the music is always spectacular.”

Although the majority of competitors were male, Haylynn Gaunt did not let it intimidate her.

“I did not find it intimidating competing with mostly males because I was really shooting for overall female and I am currently climbing quite well,” Haylynn Gaunt said. “In climbing, it really does not make much of a

difference between male and female climbers as each problem plays to different strengths. For example, guys tend to struggle on problems with more crimpy (smaller and thinner) holds, but because I have smaller hands I can usually excel in this area.”

First place winner of the advanced category, sophomore Tristan Landon, had put the time and effort into training for the competition.

“From the moment I started, it became my favorite thing,” Landon said.

Landon has competed every semester he has been at Liberty. He placed first in the intermediate category his first semester. The next three semesters after that, he has won first place in the advanced category.

According to Landon, he devotes about two to six hours a day at the rock wall and he spent the most time there during his freshman year.

“I would do (homework) from when I got out of class until about (3 p.m.),” Landon said. “I’d go to the wall, leave the wall at 9 (p.m.) or 10 (p.m.), finish (schoolwork) at night and do it all over the next day.”

Landon’s advice to other climbers and hopefuls was simple.

“Practice,” Landon said. “Just time … put time in. The most common thing I hear whenever I try to get people to climb is, ‘oh, I’m not good at it’ and I wasn’t good at it when I started and I’m here a year and a half later. Just have fun. You don’t have to do it because you want to win.”

The LaHaye Student Union offers three different classes covering the styles and techniques of climbing. Each class is offered three times a semester.

The top roping and bouldering classes are open to beginners and experts upon passing the LaHaye Student Union’s Belay Test. The lead climbing class is geared toward intermediate and expert climbers and require completion of the other two classes first.

“There’s a lot to that class, so that’s why I have to make sure that they have that base knowledge before they can take that class,” Elliot Gaunt said.

The LaHaye Student Union also offers an outdoor rock climbing trip once a semester that provides transportation, food and safety equipment.

“They get to go out and climb on real rocks and see how they’re doing on real rock climbing,” Elliot Gaunt said.

Elliot Gaunt has been climbing for six years and has watched the program grow.

“That’s what makes me really excited — to see other people get passionate about it, so it’s been fun,” Elliot Gaunt said.

Elliot Gaunt enjoys the sport and the new challenges it brings.

“Climbing … it’s a constant challenge,” Elliot Gaunt said. “Even if you get stronger, there’s gonna be something harder. You get better, there’s gonna be another challenge that shuts you down or something like that. Like as soon as you think you’re good at something, you find something else that you have to work on. So it’s just a constant improving, critiquing, and changing that just always keeps me coming back.”

For more information about the rock wall classes and events, visit liberty.edu/campusrec/studentunion.

Sweeney is a feature reporter.