Run, bike, race

Professor, Dr. David Horton trains for upcoming Tour Divide

Dr. David Horton, professor of Exercise Science, defined the difference between living and existing through his accomplishments in the racing community across North America.

Having taught at Liberty for more than 30 years, Horton has continually made time for training and racing, and is currently in the process of gearing up for the Tour Divide, the world’s longest off-road cycling course that stretches from Canada to New Mexico.

long distance — Liberty professor David Horton’s first race was the 17th annual JFK 50 miler Nov. 17, 1979. Photo provided

Long distance — Liberty professor David Horton’s first race was the 17th annual JFK 50 miler Nov. 17, 1979. Photo provided

Horton has been participating in races, both biking and running, for more than 36 years.

“My first race was an eye opener. I finished 24th out of 405 … not that I remember,” Horton said.“I don’t think this will be the last time I do (the Tour Divide). I’ll be 66 when I do it. And I’ll probably do it again after that. I may even start doing the ones on the road, who knows.”

With a rich background in racing, Horton has successfully been accepted into the Lynchburg Hall of Fame, having raced more than 113,000 miles, enough to have circled earth 4.5 times.

“I can’t imagine not being an athlete,” Horton said. “I’m an athlete, I (have) been through problems, I’ve got issues, but I will always be an athlete.”

compete — David Horton has taken part in races for more than 36 years, and he is currently training for the upcoming cycling race, the Tour Divide. Photo credit: Matthew Phillips

Compete — David Horton has taken part in races for more than 36 years, and he is currently training for the upcoming cycling race, the Tour Divide. Photo credit: Matthew Phillips

Unlike most who take on such daunting adventures, Horton’s motivation is very simple.

“No crew, no aid, no course markers, no awards,” Horton said. “So why do it? Cause it’s there. Why try to climb Mount Everest? Why try to run a sub four-minute mile? The challenge.”

Horton compares the Tour Divide to the upcoming Trans Am, a 4,400 mile race which has recently been documented into a film and will premiere Feb. 26 at the LaHaye Event Space.

“I’m doing a race that’s primarily gravel roads, single track trails, and stuff like that, dirt stuff,” Horton said. “It starts in Canada, and goes across Montana, into Idaho, back into Wyoming, across Colorado, all the way down into New Mexico — 2,700 miles, but a lot harder in terms of difficulty. Right down the Rocky Mountains, back and forth across the continental divide 31 times … Up and down, and back and forth across the mountains.”

In addition, Horton explained the value of hard work when preparing for these events.

“A man can only enjoy that which he acquires with hard work and toil,” Dr. Horton said. “What do you like best? The things you worked hard for. What are you the most proud of? The things you worked hard for. If it was easy, it’s no big deal, but if you worked hard for it, it’s a big deal.”

RICE is a feature reporter.