Nates Notes

“Oh I didn’t even check.”

“I don’t keep up with my team anymore.”

“I only joined for the draft.”

For those who willingly and proudly engage in the vast realm of fantasy sports, the aforementioned sentences are claims no one wishes to hear. And I am no exception.

Fantasy sports — primarily football — are a pretty big deal in our great nation. Nypost.com estimated that 74 million people participate in fantasy football, and almost all can likely back that claim. Some could argue it is one of the many things that make this great nation great.

Untitled-6

For the select few unfamiliar with fantasy sports, the concept is rather simple. You join a fantasy sports league, draft players from that sport’s corresponding professional league, and however well those professional athletes do in the real world dictates how well your fantasy team will do.

Essentially, it is all a gamble, as you have no way to know for certain how an individual will do, but that is all a part of the fun. And naturally, with any form of competition, money can and usually will be involved. But people can still play for free.

I joined my first fantasy sports league when I was in middle school, almost a decade ago (I know I’m getting old). I dropped it for a while, but come my junior year in high school, I was back in it for good. I have joined football, baseball, basketball and hockey leagues. I am by no means proud of this, but just last year I was managing five different teams … at the same time.

Fantasy sports are a cross between a leisurely hobby and an all-consuming passion for me. But there is no denying how much I enjoy it. But with anything good, there are those who wish to taint.

One of the primary alluring factors for fantasy sports is the draft before the season’s start. Regular human beings get to feel like general managers for a couple of hours. It is a vital part to the success of your team. That being said, people join leagues just for the draft. Then come season time, they do not even manage, let alone look, at their teams. And with them, I have issue.

So if you meet the aforementioned description, do not join a league. Please do not sign up and draft quality players just to let them sit aimlessly on your bench. They have mock drafts for people like you.

HAYWOOD is the editor-in-chief.