Nates Notes

“I am a Christian.”

A declaration I proudly and willingly make. And because of the liberties we have in this nation, I can do so without heavy persecution. Sure, some disagree with my religious views.

Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 4.29.24 PM

Nonetheless, I, along with all in this nation, still have the freedom to proclaim and exercise those beliefs.

However, in a land where we are free to say what we believe, a group of college students were heartlessly murdered while simply doing just that.

In another page of one of our nation’s darkest chapters, nine students were ruthlessly gunned down at Umpqua Community College in Oregon. Reports from survivors who experienced this horrendous tragedy are chilling and heartwrenching.

The assailant, who CNN reports committed suicide during a shootout with police, was armed with six guns, extra ammunition and a flak jacket. He allegedly barked various commands to the students right before he shot them. According to CNN, he told a woman to get out of her wheelchair and then get back in it, yet he never gave her the opportunity to return. Other reports indicate he selected a specific student to leave a message for the police — he also made that student watch as he executed classmates.

Untitled-6

While each aspect of this heinous crime breaks my heart, there is one particular report that stands out to me.

According to some survivors, the shooter asked if anyone in the classroom was a Christian. And those who said yes were instantly shot. Granted, some declined and were shot as well. But it begs the question of why even ask in the first place.

It is too early to determine if Christians were intentionally targeted or not. Right now, the primary focus should be on helping a hurting community to heal.

I have intentionally withheld the suspect’s name. He has been identified, and if you are so inclined to find out the name of this sick man, feel free to look it up. Rather, I am going to mention the following names: Lawrence Levine, Lucero Alcaraz, Treven Taylor Anspach, Rebecka Ann Carnes, Quinn Glen Cooper, Kim Saltmarsh Dietz, Lucas Eibel, and Jason Dale Johnson.
These are the names of the eight students and their professor (Levine). These are the names of the men and women whose lives were senselessly taken from them. These are also the names of people who belonged to families who are currently experiencing immense and unimaginable pain.

That being said, I give you these names so you can know the families that need prayer right now. I give you these names so you can know what families and friends need a heavy dosage of God’s comfort. In fact, you should probably add the shooter’s family in that list as well. Right now, they need it. They all do. God is the only one capable of shining any sort of light on this dark situation.

Haywood is the editor-in-chief