Long-term at Liberty

Professor Linda Farver began working with the school nearly 40 years ago

After almost 40 years at Liberty University, Linda Farver is still amazed.

“People ask me, ‘How’d you end up in Lynchburg?’ I said, ‘God.’ ‘How’d you end up at Liberty?’ I said, ‘God.’ It was in his game plan for my life. It was to fulfill his will for my life,” Farver said. “Did I have any idea years ago, that decades ago, that I would be teaching at a Christian university? No. Did I have any idea that I would be coaching at Liberty Baptist College? No. Did I have any idea that God would use me in such a capacity? No. I had no clue. No clue whatsoever. It’s been neat to see how the pages of my life have unfolded.”

Farver, a professor of exercise science and kinesiology, has been a part of the Liberty University faculty for 38 years, and holds a doctorate of arts with an emphasis in health and physical education from Middle Tennessee State University. And, as Farver is quick to acknowledge, moving to Lynchburg and becoming a Liberty faculty member was not part of her original plan.

God’s plan — Linda Farver is still amazed at how she came to Lynchburg and Liberty and gives glory to God for writing her story. Photo credit: Michela Diddle

“I had no clue that such a school even existed,” Farver said. “In fact, I moved to this area because I was a field hockey (and) lacrosse coach and I thought that maybe I might be able to find a position at one of the other colleges in the area who field teams in those two sports.”

Through officiating athletic contests for the Lady Flames, Farver was exposed to Liberty and its mission: training champions for Christ. Prior to her move to Lynchburg, she never heard of Jerry Falwell Sr., Thomas Road Baptist Church (TRBC) or Liberty Baptist College, as Liberty was called at the time. And while Farver grew up in the church, she said she began to wander away from her faith.

“I had drifted away from God,” Farver said. “I was raised in the Methodist church. Head knowledge, lots of it, regarding what Jesus did on the cross at Calvary. In terms of accepting Jesus into my heart, that did not occur until April 17 of 1977.”

Prior to that day, Farver had not developed a personal relationship with God. Through the invitation and encouragement of some of her Christian friends in Lynchburg, she attended services at TRBC whenever an evangelist was visiting. One such evangelist was J. Harold Smith, who preached a sermon titled “God’s Three Deadlines” the night of April 17, 1977. It was then Farver said she felt compelled to surrender her life to Christ, along with more than 100 other people at the sermon that evening.

“I am eternally grateful that God brought me to Lynchburg so that I could indeed get my faith squared away and know for sure I was going to go to heaven,” Farver said. “Because prior to April 17, 1977, I thought it was my good works that were going to allow me a ‘ticket through the pearly gates’ as some phrase it. But I recognized that all I needed to do was trust in Jesus.”

Following her salvation experience, Farver began working for the Old Time Gospel Hour, a radio and television ministry of TRBC. Shortly thereafter, she learned that Liberty was seeking another instructor of health and physical education, as well as a female basketball coach for the Lady Flames.

And at 28 years old, she jumped at the chance to become a member of the Liberty community.

“I’ve seen a lot of transition,” Farver said. “I’ve rolled with it. I remember when faculty were first issued computers to use, when departments added majors as ours has done with athletic training and exercise science, and we added health promotion, and now masters degrees in both public and community health and also in exercise science. For the first two years I coached, we didn’t even have a gymnasium on campus. I didn’t know what a home court was.”

Farver served as the head coach for the Lady Flames basketball team for nine years before becoming a full-time teaching faculty member in 1986, completing her doctorate in 1991. Not only is Farver one of the longest serving faculty members at Liberty, but she is also the first person in her family to attend college.

As a child, Farver loved playing outside and participating in team sports. She played on the volleyball team in high school, and later, in college, played varsity lacrosse, field hockey and basketball, as well as softball recreationally.

“I wanted to continue active participation involved in sports, and in turn teach others how to play sports and move and be physically active,” Farver said. “So my desire to be physically active became my profession.”

Over the years, Farver has taught thousands of students. She said the most rewarding part of her job is mentoring students and seeing them have “Aha!” moments; those moments where her students grasp a concept, are excited about learning or discover what it is that God has created them to do.

“That’s what we’re here for on this good earth,” Farver said. “We’re here to fulfill his kingdom, fulfill his purpose and along the way, help to change people’s lives. This is what God does in our lives. He weaves a tapestry of threads that allow us to make a difference and to indeed receive his blessings as well as his grace and his mercy.”

With the passage of time, Farver has witnessed monumental changes to the university’s campus, such as the construction of the Jerry Falwell Memorial Library and the opening of the College of Osteopathic Medicine. She remembers well the days of muddy paths before the campus paved roads, as well as willingly forgoing a couple of paychecks when the university was in the midst of financial straits. She has even had the opportunity to teach the children of her former students.

“What I’m thrilled about is the fact that mom and/or dad recognizes the significance of attending a Christian university and gaining a higher education in a Christian atmosphere environment,” Farver said. “It warms my heart when I know alumni are sending their children here, and are committed, even if it means a significant financial sacrifice for them. They’re committed to having their children experience the same things that they experienced when they were here.”

When she is not teaching, Farver can be found cheering on the Liberty Flames at athletic events across campus.

“I am a very avid Flames fan, belong to the Flames Club, attend lots of athletic events across the spectrum of men’s and women’s sports,” Farver said. “I’m committed to Liberty, wear my red on Friday, and come early, stay late, wear red, be loud and all the rest that encompasses being an avid fan of the Flames.”

Reflecting on her time at Liberty, Farver said that she likes to think of faith in terms of an acronym created by Corrie Ten Boom, a Christian who helped hide Jews during the Holocaust and was eventually imprisoned for doing so. According to Ten Boom, faith is a “fantastic adventure in trusting him,” a definition that Farver wholeheartedly embraces.

“I have learned how to trust in Jesus, rather than trusting in myself,” Farver said. “I have learned to put my faith in him and know that he’s going to see me through, no matter how difficult the circumstances might be. And to also claim Philippians 4:13 as my life’s verse. ‘I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.’ And so it has been a fantastic adventure trusting him in my spiritual life, walking with God as he unfolds the beautiful plans for Liberty University.”

Farver believes Liberty is close to achieving the original vision of its founder.

“We’re just fulfilling what Dr. Falwell envisioned decades ago,” Farver said. “… And sure enough, we’re almost there. And we’re moving closer and closer to that vision that Dr. Falwell expressed and some naysayer said, ‘It’ll never happen. Liberty Baptist College, you’re just going to be a little old school that trains pastors. You’re just going to be a little Bible college.’ Well, we’ve moved way beyond (that) and it’s because God gave Dr. Falwell that vision and it is now being fulfilled. I am just thrilled that I’ve been able to be a part of that.”

Looking to the future, Farver anticipates training more students to go out into the world and share their faith, making an impact through whatever vocation they choose to pursue.

“It’s been a fun ride. Challenging, but fun. I’m thrilled that I’m still here,” Farver said. “A few years from now, I’ll probably be in the retirement group of faculty members, and that’s fine also. But until the Lord shows me that timing, I’ll keep training young people to be champions for Christ, pushing back the barriers of students’ minds to grasp more, to know more, to learn and apply more.”

Graf is a feature reporter.