From the Desk

Dozens of layups are made during the course of a basketball game, but on Nov. 2, 2014, one layup stood out from the rest.

Untitled-7

After being diagnosed with terminal cancer in the form of a brain tumor during her senior year of high school, Lauren Hill decided she would still make her dream come true. She was determined to play college basketball despite only being given months to live — and she did. In Mt. Saint Joseph’s 2014-2015 season opener, more than 10,000 fans watched Hill score the first basket of the game — a layup.

“It’s a dream come true,” Hill said following the game. “To play on a college court, to put my foot down on the floor and hear the roar of the crowd — I just love it so much. I love basketball. Everything that happened today was amazing. I’m truly happy. It’s a really good day.”

To many, the layup is a simple basket and a fundamental part of the game, but for Hill, the layup was a major feat. The tumor in her brain zapped her energy and severely limited her mobility. Yet, she did not let those obstacles stand in the way of her goal. She added eight more points in four total games by the end of the season.
Everyone who heard her story was touched, and people across the nation were united in support of Hill as she not only courageously fought the cancer that had ravaged her brain, but chose to live life in spite of the debilitating disease.

Though Hill, 19, died Friday, April 10, from the cancer, her special moment in the spotlight and her courage will not be easily forgotten.

While she could have just thrown in the towel and enjoyed a few quiet months with friends and family, Hill chose to never give up.

But Hill’s inspirational story did not stop when she left the court. Prior to her death, Hill raised more than $1.5 million to fund research to find a cure for her type of cancer, which primarily affects children.

Like Hill, we should be unafraid of facing the obstacles in front of us and should press on despite the circumstances. We should be determined to leave a lasting mark on those around us.

I cannot begin to imagine the trials Hill had to endure, but I know that I am without excuse. Next time I want to walk away from something because it is difficult, stressful or seems impossible, I hope to follow Hill’s example.

That basket could have easily been overlooked. A layup, only two points, often does not mean much in the grand scheme of the game. But that “layup for Lauren” will forever be an example of great courage and determination, perseverance and character.

BROWN is the editor-in-chief